Driving a 'Green Goddess' on a UK license

Steve,

I know lots of driving entitlements changed, a while ago,....towing trailers etc, with post late 90's licences.

Might be worth contacting swansea, or dropping in to see local police.

(it may come down to a weight thing,........ie, are you going to be running with the water tank full, etc)

Again, I could be wrong...................

All the best

Andy

The fire engine guys are going through the mill with this at the moment because there is a lot of debate about what constitutes a load. Water and tools are necessary for fire fighting but constitute load when on a preserved vehicle since they are not fixed to it and are not necessary for the function of the vehicle (ie. fuel, oil, personal toolbox etc.) I think it's ridiculous because there are so few of them out there that it hardly seems worth the bureacratic effort.

Point is, I'd suggest you don't focus on it being a fire engine. Think of it as an old lorry. Therefore, it's over 3.5t, was registered pre 1st Jan. 1960, is not being used laden or towing a laden trailer (insert your interpretation of 'laden' here ;-)), is not being used for hire & reward AND you received your license before 1997, you can drive it on a car license.

- Mike

Thanks Mike. I received my license in 2001, and from what i can see it appears that the exemption still applies to me.

pre-97 you can drive 7.5 tonnes on a car license anyway. but only up to 3.5 post-97 (Green Goddess is 5.5ton unladen)