Bedford MW oil

Hi all.

I am tinkering with getting the MW running and have put some cheap multigrade oil in as a stop gap, but I cant get any oil pressure at the moment. Could it be down to the oil?

If you did not check the viscosity, it may well be. Modern multigrades are of a much lower viscosity, due to tighter running tolerances in bearings. I would never use a "stop gap" oil. The very first time you start a newly built engine is the time to have good oil in. On these engines, I use and recommend a classic type SAE30.

have you had the oil pump strainer out to clean by any chance ,if this has not got a good seal were the two bolt plate holds it into the block you will have low oil pressure problems when i first test ran our MWR the oil light came on at tick over ,made sure the two bolt plate was flat and sealing properly and fitted a nice thick o ring to push down on the oil strainer the oil pressure went straight up to 20 psi with the engine ticking over

hope this helps

nicky

Thanks chaps, couldnt wait a week;). I have changed the oil to sae30 and checked the oil pump filter, but still no pressure:cry:. I have disconnected the oil guage at the engine end - nothing, and undone an oil pipe on the rocker shaft - nothing. Its frustrating as when I first stared the engine before starting the resto I had pressure. I guess the sump and oil pump are going to have to come off:cry:.:banghead:

Just about ready to throw in the towel!

Thanks chaps, couldnt wait a week;). I have changed the oil to sae30 and checked the oil pump filter, but still no pressure:cry:. I have disconnected the oil guage at the engine end - nothing, and undone an oil pipe on the rocker shaft - nothing. Its frustrating as when I first stared the engine before starting the resto I had pressure. I guess the sump and oil pump are going to have to come off:cry:.:banghead:

Just about ready to throw in the towel!

Before you go too far, check the filter cover plate by the lift pump, as someone has already suggested, an air leak here will result in no suction.

Something else, I wonder if the oil pump was not secured correctly by the locking screw on outside of block. It could have dropped out of mesh with the distributor shaft.

Courage ! mon ami :-D it could be that the oil pump is not engaged as Richard has mentioned, K.B.O. as Churchill used to say You'll get there in the end if it was too easy there wouldn't be much satisfaction in the finished project, mind you there were times with the champ when I could have happily set fire to it :nut: but now I love the old thing, it fired up yesterday first turn after being sat for over 4 months as its about to get a new wiring loom soon I think I'll need a lie down in a dark room after that's done thank goodness Dave lock is coming to do the technical bits and I'll be making the tea :-D

Courage mon brave :-D

Mr Farrant, Sir, you are bang on once again. Having dropped the sump and cranked the engine over (trapping a finger in the process OUCH!), I could see the oil pump shaft was not turning:nut:.

What can I say? I know I am among friends so can admit my mistakes. I recall when removing the dizzy, undoing BOTH set screws and lock nuts, I guess at this point the oil pump slipped out of drive.:blush:

I am not a mechanic, just a Builders Yard Foreman/HGV driver with (most of the time) enhusiasm.

Anyway I now have around 25psi oil pressure on tick over and all is well with the world again:-D.

Thanks Rivet for your encouragement too!

Mr Farrant, Sir, you are bang on once again. Having dropped the sump and cranked the engine over (trapping a finger in the process OUCH!), I could see the oil pump shaft was not turning:nut:.

What can I say? I know I am among friends so can admit my mistakes. I recall when removing the dizzy, undoing BOTH set screws and lock nuts, I guess at this point the oil pump slipped out of drive.:blush:

I am not a mechanic, just a Builders Yard Foreman/HGV driver with (most of the time) enhusiasm.

Anyway I now have around 25psi oil pressure on tick over and all is well with the world again:-D.

Thanks Rivet for your encouragement too!

Good one Fayjo!

Glad to hear you sorted that one out quickly.

regards, Richard