Diamond T wrecker bed air compressor

It has come to the point to get the KELLOG air compressor and Briggs and Stratton engine ready for installation. When I acquired the truck it did not have an air tank, compressor and engine. Over the years, I was able to acquire a lever start model N 3/4 hp Briggs and Stratton and a KELLOG compressor. I will be using a new air tank. Instead of tracking down all the accessories like the unloader and engine cut out, I am going to use a Genie valve, so when the tanks reaches 105 psi, it will vent to atmosphere without cutting the engine off. It will not be correct but close enough.

Pictures attached before tear down and repaint.

John G

IMG_00345.JPG

650x488xIMG_00368.JPG.pagespeed.ic.f0n1VqKzSH.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today I fitted the fittings to the new tank I acquired. The original setup was a cut out switch that would kill the engine when the tank reached 150 psi. Finding that switch is near impossible so I used a 3 way "GENIE" valve, This valve has a 1 way check valve and an unloader that vents to atmosphere when the tank reaches 115 psi and cuts back in at 95 psi (these ranges are adjustable, but that is the settings it comes with). A safety valve that will vent at 150 psi was installed along with the necessary fittings to plug holes that are not used along with a drain valve and service valve.

John G

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update:

I had to make up an adapter plate since the feet on the new tank do not line up with the holes in the wrecker bed. I also made up mounting plates for the engine to bolt to, as this would make belt adjustment easier. First, I made a template out of plywood as this would ensure that everything would line up. The plate was made, trail fit was done and the results were perfect. I studied the TM's for the correct routing of the discharge line from the compressor to the tank. It wraps around the pulley, using the fan blades in the pulley for cooling. After the paint dries on the mounting plate, the compressor will be mounted.

The pictures are self explanatory.

John G

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

All;

Progress update. Late last week I installed the compressor on the bed. Today, I installed the 2 plates that the engine bolts to. So the installation is complete, just some touch up painting to do.

John G

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Trevor;

It was used to air up tires. Interestingly, there is also a fitting on the air manifold on the cowl to attach an air line to for the same purpose in addition to using a "glad hand" line to the "emergency" air connection on the front and rear air line fittings. There are very few Diamond T's left with this air tank. Whern I get a chance I will test the unit. As you can see from the pictures, the lever start arm is very close to the wrecker frame. For the sake of my hand , knuckles and sanity, I will probably use a rope start on the opposite pulley.

John G

I had my son fire up the compressor yesterday, everything worked well and had to address to minor issues, one was a loose fitting that was leaking air and the other was a loose sediment bowl screw the caused a minor fuel leak.

So another milestone was reached on this project:)

John G