D Day Commemorative Event

Hi all.

My employer wishes to hold a Commemorative D-Day event in June this year over the D-Day weekend.

Please forgive me but details are a little sketchy at this time other than the weekend in question and the event will go ahead.

My employer owns an estate in Lymington, together with a private airfield that in WWII.

Opened in 1944, Lymington was a prototype for the type of temporary Advanced Landing Ground type airfield which would be built in France after D-Day, when the need advanced landing fields would become urgent as the Allied forces moved east across France and Germany. It was used by the Royal Air Force, Canadian and the United States Army Air Forces. It was closed in 1946 after two years of being utilized as a storage area for the Royal Navy.

Created P-47 Thunderbolts were moved by road to the airfield, assembled and then flown operationally across the channel.

My employer has already made plans to bring a Vet from the above to the airfield for this event.

I have been tasked with organising various elements of this 1940's themed event.

Some of my plans are as follows:

To set up the airfield as it was in 1944. (Tents, vehicles, re-enactors, stores, etc).

To hold mock WWII battles with vehicles and re-enactors.

1940's style concert

Flying WWII fighter planes into the airfield.

At this time, the public are being invited to visit the estate and the event is being held on behalf of Help the Heroes and other Forces Charities.

Now I know it is very late to be organising such an event as many people will already be booked for other events both in the UK and overseas.

What I am trying to do now is gauge what sort of response I get so I can advise my employer of what I can get arranged for him.

I am interested in any individuals, groups, vehicle owners, etc that can make this event.

Please e-mail me with a contact number or message me on here if you would like to be part of this event.

Regards

Mark

This sounds a brilliant idea, I would love to attend but myself along with many MVT members will be in Normandy for that weekend. I am sure though that you will have many people unable to get to Normandy attend and hopefully it will be a great event. Good luck and thanks to you and your employer for taking the time to arrange it. :saluting::thanx:

Thanks for the offers so far Gents:

I may need to downscale proposed itineraries due to lack of time and available resources but I am still on the lookout for WWII re-enactors and WWII vehicles and their owners who would be willing to get involved with maybe a battle or two and helping to set the tone and feel for a WWII D-Day event.

Messages via in box please.

Thank you in anticipation.

Markheliops

I was going to make the same offer :cheesy:. I presume you'd prefer military coloured vehicles rather than yellow ones otherwise I'd bring the truck down?

- MG

Yes mate - Green will be the standard colour of the day, unless you want to paint the Ward a lovely German Blue / Grey!!

I may need some drivers for the armour though -

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps.

The event is on.

Event day - Saturday 7th June 2014

Location - Lymington, Hampshire.

I am looking to get names and vehicles for this event.

In short, we are intending to "dress" the airfield as it was during 1944.

There will be battle re-enactment of the D-Day landings including a beach landing and the storming of a bunker complex (being built by yours truly) !!!

The public will be invited onto the airfield for a small donation to the charity buckets.

They will be there to see the Red Arrows carryout a display and a BBMF flypast.

At this time, there is the possibility of 2 x Spitfires, 1 x Hurricane, 1 x Piper Cub and some Tiger Moths flying in and being parked up for a static display but this is waiting to be confirmed.

If you have a WWII British, German or American vehicle you'd like to bring along for the above, or are a foot-soldier of either side, drop me a PM so I can gather names and details.

If you have nothing but would like to take part in the day and mock battle, drop me a PM as we are hiring in uniforms / weapons / blanks etc for the event.

Attendees can arrive on the Friday if they so wish and camp up on the airfield.

For non-green camping, we can site you in another part of the estate.

We do intend to have a shin-dig Friday evening.........................

There will be food and drink for attendees.

Once the Saturday event is finished, you can either make your way home or stick around (Saturday night will probably be another shin-dig) and then slope off on Sunday morning.

The event is for British Forces Charities so it would be great to see as many people as I can get to "feel the forties" vibe!

Thanks guys and gals.

Markheliops