Militant Clutch Problem

Grumpy

We have got a problem with the clutch on the Militant (Mk 3 Recovery). It started just after we took delivery, where if it sat for a couple of days you had to pump the clutch several times to get a pedal and then it would be fine for the rest of the day, it’s never lost any fluid. Now it’s got to the stage where you have to pump the pedal after a couple of minutes standing. We bled it out tonight from the slave cylinder and it takes a fair few strokes to get the fluid moving but when it does there is plenty there, initially we had a bit of air out but it made no difference after leaving it a couple of minutes. The master cylinder in prime candidate at the moment but how the Devil do you get at the thing, we have had a quick look but it was getting dark and we couldn’t even see it let alone how to remove it - help :dunno:

On another note the air / over hydraulic booster has two bleed nipples, the one in the picture is seized but there is another on the opposite end of the booster that we managed to bleed from, does anyone know the sequence for bleeding the clutch.

width=640 height=480http://scott.morris8.users.btopenworld.com/Pics/HMVF/airclutch.JPG[/img]

It’s not really that yellow twas dark when we took the picture :roll:

Any ideas would be most welcome

Grumpy,

From memory of these, the bleeder in the photo is done before the other one, it is the valve that signals the air booster to function. Afraid I cannot remember quite where the master cylinder is located.

Sounds like it is drawing air in, probably at master cylinder.

Richard

Sounds amazingly like the problem my Stalwart has!! That definitely is the master cylinder :-(

Care to do a trade - I'll do yours if you do mine (he says hopefully!!!)

If the Mk3 is anything like the Mk 1 I think the cylinder is under the cab floor adjacent to the engine - but I can't swear to that. Probably your best bet might be Militant Graham for the correct answer???

If the Mk3 is anything like the Mk 1 I think the cylinder is under the cab floor adjacent to the engine - but I can't swear to that.

Neil,

It is very many years passed since I worked on Mk1 Militants, changing engines and renewing clutches was a common job, but I though the clutch linkage was pure mechanical. Know it was bloody heavy on the leg, because getting in to our workshops was often like an obstical course and your left legs was like jelly by the time someone had directed you in to place.

Richard

Thinking back - you could be right :oops: :oops: See what old age does to you!! :oops:

The clutch WAS on the heavy side but for some reason I've got a picture of the underfloor of the cab in mind.. Not that the REME encouraged us mere drivers to start poking around in the nether regions.....