Paratrooper boot lacing

uaoao

Airborne Forces, most notably in Portugal and South American countries have a distinctive way of lacing boots. Not only for traditions but to increase ankle support during a parachute jump. Only paratroopers wear them with surplus green paracord instead of the usual black string. On parade, they are usually worn with white paracord.

2ilireg.jpg

The standard way of lacing for British Forces was always straight across: IE: Looped over from side to side like a ladder. The reason for this was simple & effective. If you had a foot/leg injury, & the Medic had to get your boot off quickly. It was a simple matter to run a sharp knife down the run of loops. To cut through them all rapidly, thus ensuring the boot could be removed quickly for treatment in the field. :-)

The standard way of lacing for British Forces was always straight across: IE: Looped over from side to side like a ladder. The reason for this was simple & effective. If you had a foot/leg injury, & the Medic had to get your boot off quickly. It was a simple matter to run a sharp knife down the run of loops. To cut through them all rapidly, thus ensuring the boot could be removed quickly for treatment in the field. :-)

Same in Aussie until about mid '93 when the quality of new boots was poor and the eyelets fell out to easily.

The other option I preferred was to tie a not at one end, and feed it up as a ladder, then it is tightened on the side of the boot. So in effect you have one lace

The famous 'Lace with one end' , though I'm clueless how it works.

it's, well for me easier than 2.

you pull it around to the right, form a vee with the loose end going around the top and back through the vee, then reverse direction and tie off. Gives a lot of leverage and you end up with a collar ring at the top of the boot. The other advantage, I feel was that its quicker to lace up or down as only loosening one, not trying to loosen two sides at once.