Opinions on 'Rover lightweight frame

WCMatt

Hello List!

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or down in the "British Vehicles forum". I've been following some of the LR resto blogs where the owner/restorer encountered some rot in the frame (usually the rear most cross member) & so they went out & brought a brand new frame instead of just fixing/replacing the damaged cross member. Is this pretty much the SOP for LR restorers?

I'm in the begining phases of the complete tear down of a '74 series III airportable. The rear cross member is rotten on this truck. Replacement frames are available for just under 3k (USD) and that may be an option if I find any more rot but if I don't, I was going to have my local fabrication shop just build & attach a new rear cross member. Has anyone else done this? Is it a viable option or maybe I should just pick up a new replacement frame?

Would like to hear (or read, as the case may be) your thoughts on the subject.

Matt

i have found rot at the rear crossmember, 30 cm of chassis remade to original spec ans new rear crossmember.

found rot on the front end behind the bumper, welded two plates in, half of the rear spring outrigger, welded a new homemade replacement part in. that was the wife's 109,

my 88lw got rot at the rear, awaiting new crossmember, expecting loads more rot, but repairing what is left is my way to do it.

my civilian 109, rotted bulkhead, chassis gone beyond repair...

new chassis, bulkhead bits made to my spec as aftermarket stuff without ribs (footwells) aint doing it.

my tip, Co2 welding kit, 2mm metal, patience, sanding disk for 12,5cm grinder, patience and cutting disks.

coffee, and beer/pub to walk in to at nights it ain't working.

take lot of pictures and if needed a jig.

Arjan

Replacement military rear cross members are cheap and readily available - I put one on my old lightweight. Don't scrap the chassis if that's the only issue.

Sirhc

Yes I noticed that. Was looking at them on Craddock's last night. Probably much cheaper then having my fab shop make a replacement from scratch. I noticed that the front "horns" of the frame where the front bumber mounts had been repaired with patch panels sometime in the past. I'm (hoping) to have the rear body off by the weekend which will give me a much better view of the frame.

What I need to do is compare what it will cost to repair as needed , clean up & paint my old frame -vs- purchase a replacement. I also need to check with the DMV and see if there are any issues there (with regards to VIN & such)

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

UpDate

Well I've got everything from the bulkhead aft removed from the Landie and it looks like the only rotten spot is that rear most cross member. Rest of the frame appears to be quite solid, actually. Did some numbers crunching and I can Have the frame repaired (new replacement cross member), media blasted, primed & painted for around a grand. I can order a new (replacement) frame for almost two thousand dollars not including shipping. 'think I'll go with the repair route.

Matt