GMC Carburettor

ghasp!

Question

Having taken my new toy for little run, I think I must have sucked some gunk from the bottom of the tank into the carburettor, partially blocking it. Simple job I though, just take it off and give it a clean, I've got the GMC manual after all, what could go wrong? :whistle:

Now, the carb on my GMC is made by Zenith in France, so I'm guessing that's not an original part! I've removed the four retaining screws, but the carb won't lift off, it travels about an eighth of an inch before something inside stops it moving any futher. :?

width=640 height=480http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/x902110/Pictures007.jpg[/img]

Any ideas? :dunno:

6 answers to this question

Are you sure it's something inside and not the choke or accelerator linkages catching???

Usually -and I concede the point GMC's can be VERY unusual - there is nothing hanging below the mating face of a carb, other than part of the butterfly valve when the throttle is fully open.....

If you are talking about splitting the actual carb it will probably be the float in the float chamber jamming on the sides if this is the case try removing the whole carb from inlet manifold and shaking gently as you split the two bits !!!!!!! Watch out for bits falling out mainly the float valve and float hinge pin but depends on the type of carb ....

R Cubed

Hi Ghasp,

The four screws you have removed only hold the top of the carb on,you need to take the nuts off the two studs which hold the carb and govanor to the inlet manifold,once those are undone the whole carb just lifts off.

The French Zenith is the same as the WWII US Zenith,just made in France post war. You'll need a carb rebuild kit and I suggest you clean the bowl of the inline fuel filter too as it could be the source of your problem.

Hope this helps!

Matt.

Right, I now have a repair kit from Rex Ward, but there's no instructions and the number of bits looks a bit daunting. :schocked: :shake: :dunno:

Does anyone have any instructions or advice on where to start? :?