wartime raf reg numbers

fayjo56

Question

I have been wondering for a while about ww2 RAF reg numbers:blush:. Was there any numerics sequence, ie the lower the number the older the vehicle or any scheme to them to identify vehicle type etc? Looking at a few period pictures and preserved vehicles they appear fairly random:nut:. I did think about finishing my MW as RAF, and having seen 44GPW's lovely example was inspired. But how would I find an appropriate reg number if I did, not saying I will, but I might, perhaps, maybe:nut:

Perhaps I need to get out of the clubhouse more!

3 answers to this question

The short answer is, I would be surprised if they didn’t do the same as with aircraft and issue blocks of registration numbers to specific contracts.

If you were going to mark yours up as RAF, then my advice would be to look at as many original photographs you can find and then either use that number or pick one either side of it.

For reference RAF43439 (later to become 05AS35 and gain fame as the tractor that pulled the carriage bearing Trenchard’s ashes) entered service on the 2nd January 1942.

Hi Bryan yes I think once big contracts flowed then batches , but I think its a bit of a muddle, lots of pre war stuff ran until the late 1940s on their original Middlesex numbers. I will look to see if I have any MW reg numbers in my boxes of rubbish as my family sometimes call it. I have seen pictures of MWs still in service in the early 1960s with the RAF VGS at various locations painted yellow. Did you get my e mail ref bowsers ??

TED