20 BT 30. Can anyone put a date, or approximate date, on the number?

59Prototype

Keith

I am absolutely delighted with your posts and that’s on two counts.

Firstly to hear that you are Bill’s son. Yes, Bill Booker is known to me although not personally. He was considered to be one of the stars of the BBC Autopoints. Did you know that Jim Clark, Graham Hill and John Surtees all took part at various times? I think they drove Twini Mokes. Somehow I managed to make contact with your dad about 20 years ago. At the time he was living in Florida, perhaps he still does. He sent me a cassette tape (that dates it!) describing his time driving in the various Autopoints. I still have the tape back in Bournemouth. I also have some photos of him driving at least one Moke which I think was 20 BT 30. They came from BMC publications and I think there is one of him airborne in a Moke! When I say airborne he had just come over the top of a hill was on his way down again. I’ll look the photos up again when home which will be in the middle of next month. When you next speak to your dad please can you give him my regards. Many thanks.

As for the photo of 27 AE 03 that’s incredible. I have been researching these prototypes for nearly 30 years and that’s the first proper and clear photo that I have ever seen of it! Do you know where and when the photo was taken? It looks as though it might have been taken at FVRDE going by the crash barrier behind and the other vehicles. I’ve tried to check out the registration of the Land Rover behind and my Army Vehicle VRN list that I now have says:

23DM20 Land Rover 88” Series 8 FVRDE 1962

Ok, so 23 DM 20 isn’t 22 DM 20 but it’s pretty close so my guess is that it was taken in 1962, maybe 1963.

Do you have any more photos of 27 AE 03 or indeed any of the other prototypes?

Graham

Email: Moke59Prototype@aol.com

Keith

I am absolutely delighted with your posts and that’s on two counts.

Firstly to hear that you are Bill’s son. Yes, Bill Booker is known to me although not personally. He was considered to be one of the stars of the BBC Autopoints. Did you know that Jim Clark, Graham Hill and John Surtees all took part at various times? I think they drove Twini Mokes. Somehow I managed to make contact with your dad about 20 years ago. At the time he was living in Florida, perhaps he still does. He sent me a cassette tape (that dates it!) describing his time driving in the various Autopoints. I still have the tape back in Bournemouth. I also have some photos of him driving at least one Moke which I think was 20 BT 30. They came from BMC publications and I think there is one of him airborne in a Moke! When I say airborne he had just come over the top of a hill was on his way down again. I’ll look the photos up again when home which will be in the middle of next month. When you next speak to your dad please can you give him my regards. Many thanks.

As for the photo of 27 AE 03 that’s incredible. I have been researching these prototypes for nearly 30 years and that’s the first proper and clear photo that I have ever seen of it! Do you know where and when the photo was taken? It looks as though it might have been taken at FVRDE going by the crash barrier behind and the other vehicles. I’ve tried to check out the registration of the Land Rover behind and my Army Vehicle VRN list that I now have says:

23DM20 Land Rover 88” Series 8 FVRDE 1962

Ok, so 23 DM 20 isn’t 22 DM 20 but it’s pretty close so my guess is that it was taken in 1962, maybe 1963.

Do you have any more photos of 27 AE 03 or indeed any of the other prototypes?

Graham

Email: Moke59Prototype@aol.com

PM sent.

Keith

HI l am ready to give the answer if you look at post 19 dates are given when the MOKES left CHERTSEY there where only

eight sent there Six left between 1960 to 1963 these would have there BT numbers one was struck of charge but no date given the last left in 1969 but it was not unusual when a vehicle had been trialed to remain on site for some time after

for years also l have learnt more about the workings of CHERTSEY FACT numbers given to vehicles where not issused in

numerical order and in some cases up to three different numbers applied to the same vehicle RIGHT 20 BT 29 WAS ISSUSED IN 1961 l have now pictures of this vehicle and referance to it in a military audit also l have a book showing this vehicle at a exhibition in 1962 so 20 BT 30 was issused in 1961 l am as sure as l can be l emailed this information to graham last night as l thought it fair he was the first to know

REGARDS WALLY