you need to measure the diameter which will give you the calibre which will make identifying them much easier. as a guess i'd say they might be 20mm from a hispano suiza (but ordnance isn't my thing)

Too small for 20mm; more likely 50 cal.

My question is - what sea? That could help decide who may of fired them and so what kind of weapon.

They look to me like 25mm calibre, and there were some WW2 era anti-aircraft guns that fired such size, and possibly some still do.

trevor

edit - just looked on Wikipedia and the Russians also used a 23mm calibre. a possibility of you have been hunting the Baltic coast for amber ;)

Edited by GeePig

• 2 months later...

Nordenfelt 1" sub calibre ammunition. This was used by many larger ships to do target practice using their bigger guns but without using big ammo. The gun slotted into the breech of the main gun and it could then be aimed and fired up to about a mile away and could hit small targets. The roand is a soft lead slug, often with a slightly dished base. Quite common wherever the navy has been parked in the past but still very interesting!