Saracen suspension - oils and oil guns

trophy160

I need to check/fill the oil in the Saracen's suspension and have a couple of questions:

1. what modern oil equivalent should I be using
  2. can anyone recommend a suitable oil gun, I have found oil guns for sale but am a bit concerned that the nozzle connector might not seal well, or are these things pretty universal in their fitting?

thanks

Nic

I need to check/fill the oil in the Saracen's suspension and have a couple of questions:

1. what modern oil equivalent should I be using

2. can anyone recommend a suitable oil gun, I have found oil guns for sale but am a bit concerned that the nozzle connector might not seal well, or are these things pretty universal in their fitting?

thanks

Nic

Apparently a grease-pump bucket will work, but officially a 'Manual Oil injection pump' is what you need, and the fitting on the end of the delivery nozzle needs to fit the 'flat-type' grease/oil nipples. The pumps are FAIRLY easy to come by, and some were made by Tecalmit, if you have difficulty getting one, PM me as I now have a few of them,... But you will need to get the nozzle replaced to suit the nipples on the suspension. You should be using a non-additive SAE 80 or 90 gear oil.

Thanks for the advise, I've now found someone selling oil guns etc, ( http://www.thenippleshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Accessories.html ) I'm guessing from your description of the nipple type 'flat-type' grease/oil nipples" that none of the connectors they describe will be any good. Is this flat-type nipple a current design or is it a superseded design?

Nic

Was just talking to another Saracen owner and he said that in recent years he was using grease rather than oil in the suspension; reason being that the oil leaked out badly.

He believes that the grease is lubricating the suspension, it is clearly used in the Ferret suspension quite satisfactorily is there a good​ why it can't be used in the Saracen

Was just talking to another Saracen owner and he said that in recent years he was using grease rather than oil in the suspension; reason being that the oil leaked out badly.

He believes that the grease is lubricating the suspension, it is clearly used in the Ferret suspension quite satisfactorily is there a good​ why it can't be used in the Saracen

I've often wondered this myself, as for 3years I've used grease, but my suspension is a bit creaky, so I'm gonna start using oil,... I suppose oil gets into the tighter spaces easier.....

I've been useing K4000EP Semi-fluid Grease from Morris lubricants now for 10 plus years. Neaver had a problem and it gets to where it needs to be and dosen't dribble out. Use it on my Ferret, Saladin and Saracen. I have a 25 KG tub with a pump fitted to it. One person puts the pipe on the grease nipple and the other dose 2 or 3 strokes with the pump. Can do a Saracen in 20 mins and a Ferret, with all those grease nipples in 15 minutes.