GMC 352 Fuel Tank

R Cubed

As you can see the original tank is in a sorry state, it looks as though there has been a build up of mud and leaves ect between the tank and the frame which it clamps in side, so people who have 352's with the tank accross the truck beware of rust setting in between these two parts. There should be some canvas type pads fitted in the frame 4 on the bottom, one each end and one above each frame rail. There should also be 2 verticaly on front side of tank frame so when the two straps are done up it forces the tank on to the canvas pads and not on to the inside of the frame, this means that there is a gap so dust and rain cant collect on the tank, ( my pads were missing so 352 owners beware ) The tank will lose as the frame is much thicker :-) as I set about the process of building a stainless one I will keep you all informed.

R Cubed

• 2 months later...

Ho Ho Ho Ho, got back from France Tues night with a brand new old stock fuel tank and 4 new Uniroyal 7.50X20 bar grips, thanks to the French army for getting rid of them some years ago...

So full steam ahead to spray and fit tank and 2 tyres for the front of the Truck :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

So happy got a new tank.

R Cubed

I went to Normandy to get all the bits from a chap who comes from the German Luxembourg boarder. tank is good, some of the 4 tyres have small perished cracks in them but once inflated we shall see.

Newtyres2.jpg

Here is a pic of the fuel tank as I picked it up, only 1 coat of scabby green paint on it so I have sanded it all off and sprayed it with red oxide etch primer then will paint with green paint.

D4100003.jpg

Here are some other pics after I primed the tank.

D4100013.jpg

D4100008.jpg

Oh, Lead to believe it was NOS, ex French army spares, and as it is exactly the same as my old one less the rust, it also appears to have the same assembly procedure I would guess that was the case but who knows for sure................

Got some paint today, Lechler synthetic eggshell 5Ltrs in B.S. 223 which is middle bronze green, what do you think of that colour then, what colours have other people used to spray their vehicles !!!!!!!!!!!!

R Cubed painted the fuel tank and was going to fit it when I suggested that he should check it didn't leak (it looked like it had been dropped on one of the corners). Well he took my advice (for once!) and sadly it did have a leak :-o so the tank was emptied and washed out with water. I had to stand by on fire duty whilst he soldered (sp?) it back up. Fortuantly no explosions occurred and he refilled with fuel and all was good :-D.

• 4 weeks later...