Hello all

Gasser

Hello everyone, I discovered this site by chance and have found it very interesting. About 2 years ago I came home from a local village flower show with a 1940's living van towed by a 1960's ERF which had a 1942 Lister JP4 lighting set in the back. The lighting set is the relevant factor to this site so I will be asking a few questions of you knowledgeable folk in the near future especially as I had no knowledge at all of any of my purchases. I have some history for the lighting set to be confirmed, hopefully with a little help from this site.

Hello everyone, I discovered this site by chance and have found it very interesting. About 2 years ago I came home from a local village flower show with a 1940's living van towed by a 1960's ERF which had a 1942 Lister JP4 lighting set in the back. The lighting set is the relevant factor to this site so I will be asking a few questions of you knowledgeable folk in the near future especially as I had no knowledge at all of any of my purchases. I have some history for the lighting set to be confirmed, hopefully with a little help from this site.

Thats quite a random take home from a flower show! what model ERF is it?

Thats quite a random take home from a flower show! what model ERF is it?

Hello Paul and every one else and thanks for making me feel so welcome. Yes as you say very random but my wife and I looked around the showman's ling van and we both uttered the words how nice it is, just what we've always wanted if it was for sale we would snap it up and hey presto on exiting there was a sign that neither of us had noticed on the steps for sale! what could we do it was meant to be:). We intended to use a tractor and tow the wagon to our house park it up and never move it again but the owner explained that the ERF and Lister lighting set was also for sale and it would be a shame not to exhibit it at the shows, he also offered to help me learn to drive it and if we didn't want the ERF he would take it back. The long and short of it is by the time we had attended our first transport show we were hooked and have tried to fit in as many as we can through the season, we will be at Wiston next weekend is any one would like to look us up. By the way I forgot to say in my introduction my name is Michael and I also forgot another interest of mine is bee keeping. Michael

Welcome, please put all out of there misery and post a picture. :-D

Thanks for the welcome Tony, I will try and post a picture I assume you mean of the Lister and hope that I get it right. Sorry all I could manage for now is the whole unit, the pictures of the Lister were marked as invalid so I will try tomorrow. By the way I forgot to answer Pauls question what model ERF, it's a 1966 A series LV with a Gardener 150 and David Brown box.

ERF with Lister JP4 & Living Wagon.jpg

Lister JP4 off side.jpgI have managed to do it, I hope they are of interest. The generator runs well and apparently is a good example I am told by people with more experience than I have, well I have no experience other than what I have gained in the last two years at shows and tinkering with it. I am told that it was used at Hounslow aerodrome (now Heathrow airport?) 1942 to 1947 and would have been one of six mounted on a Matador to provide emergency power for the runway lighting . After that it apparently sat in a barn for many years and was then restored and has only been used as we use it at steam and transport shows and of course as ballast in the back of the ERF. If any one is able to help confirm the history of this I would be very pleased:-).

Lister JP4 close up near side.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Tony, I will try and post a picture I assume you mean of the Lister and hope that I get it right. Sorry all I could manage for now is the whole unit, the pictures of the Lister were marked as invalid so I will try tomorrow. By the way I forgot to answer Pauls question what model ERF, it's a 1966 A series LV with a Gardener 150 and David Brown box.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78641[/ATTACH]

Very nice. We used to have a showmans van like that as kids. Towed behind a Foden Heavy Recovery truck. They are lovely inside. I grew up near Sandbach so Fodens and ERFs are part of my DNA