Diamond T Chassis number

mullvane

Yes would agree with Adrian I have the original manual which came with mine and it says 969A0001 onward. The tankograd book says 5,696 A's were made so the highest number would be 969A5696. Mine is a 969B which is the lease-lend version for British/Canadians (I don't know how many of these were made in addition to the A's) and an open cab so post June 1943 and its number is only in the high hundreds.

Is yours open or closed cab, if closed civilian or military dashboard ?

It maybe that the number you have was a number 'allocated' just to get it registered, back in the 60's/70's when nobody had records it was not unusual for people to think up a number, stamp it on a plate and call that the chassis number, I had a Dodge a few years back which was done this way, all legal and not an issue just not the one it came out of the factory with.

The Chassis number according to the manual should be on the right hand chassis rail above the right front spring, rear hanger although I'm sure mine was stamped elsewhere, I'd need to check.

Andy

Just been in the shed to check and mine is on the right hand chassis just in front of the rear spring hanger of the front spring. The numbers are quite large just stick your head under the wing behind the front wheel with a torch.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Jack

Closed cabs with military instruments were built between October 41 and June 43 according to the Tankograd book. Civilian instruments before and open cabs after.

I won't say its a number from another type of DT as I expect them to follow the 969 numbering ie. 969A1234, 968A1234. Does your number appear in the same place as I mentioned above ? or is it in a different place.

My guess would be if it went through another (Belgium) military force it could have had a new number stamped into it or maybe the chassis was replaced and didn't have the original number at all.

Try looking a bit closer at the area behind the r/h front spring, maybe shine a torch at an angle across it or wet it or rub it back a little if thick paint. The numbers on mine are large but not deep so it could be there but hidden. I think whichever number you end up with registration shouldn't be an issues as its all about identification after its registered not went before.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Jack. I don't think the 11232 number is the chassis number its the wrong place and doesn't fit any chassis number range I can find. The 860 number you have pictured the numbers look a lot smaller than mine but seems to be in the right place. back to my comments above, maybe it had a new chassis fitted at some time as the original number should be where I described above or maybe it was renumbered in a later military force. It can't be a Sept 45 as they stopped making them in August 45 and the closed cab was changed to open cabs in 43 so if the cab is original it has to be between 41 and 43 . the paperwork would just be somebody at some point in the last 65 years filling a date in on a form. Hows the resto coming ?, I just had a stroke of luck and have found a rear body for mine and a spare holmes wrecking gear set. The body had a july 41 plate on it on the left hand side about 3/4 of the way back on the body frame rail. Its the body build info plate but if yours has one fitted you may get a better date. Ive been looking for a body as mine has a made up Bedford one fitted so now I can finish it off correctly. Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply! The resto is coming along slowly, the front axle is now off and the bell housing is in the process of being painted. Glad to hear you have finally been able to get a body, I had been offered another wrecking gear myself! I have looked on the body info plate but have not been able to make anything out of it as it is so corroded. Does your Diamond T have tie downs on the rear chassis?

Regards

Jack

101_3922g.jpg

Edited by mullvane