Q. re Reme LAD units use of jeeps as mobile workshops?

Just wondering if the REME made use of Jeeps in the role of Light workshops etc.? I know the Germans had a mechanics setup based on the Kube (back seats taken out) with some basic tools like drills, vis, etc. Just wondering if the REME had something similar and if so what was the proper naming convention?

I'm not talking about the trailers (although I'd be interested in any info on other types of workshop trailers other than the electrical workshop trailer on which there's already a thread); I'm more interested in possible conversions of the Jeep itself to this kind of role. Did the REME ever do anything like this?

Incidentally, I once came across a reference to a WO file in the National Archives on a trial in Burma theatre for using Jeeps to transport Bailey Bridge components. I can't find the original file in the National Archives though!

We had two in 5 Armd Wksps REME West Germany in the mid 1950s, Ford and Willy`s, both used for transporting officers (Inc the C.O.) I drove him on exercises in either a Jeep or a Champ. The Jeeps were also used for the 70 mile round trip to collect the mail. They were never used in a workshop role............. but of course I dont know about LAD, although I never came across such usage.

The Aust Army used jeeps for just about everything in the islands north of Australia later in ww2, so maybe not entirely relevant to your part of the world these Aust War Memorial photos may be of interest.

The jeep with lathe, I don't know the power source but they did mount big generators in jeeps using a PTO off the trans. case.

The 2nd photo is of a battery slave charger, note the big generator behind the front seats. Another photo shows two generators running of a pto.

If you search the AWM photo archive look for the following numbers as examples: 018106,078870,078871,079172,109659,112537, all jeep photos with LAD type stuff mounted.

I'll attach a couple.

regards Andrew B

awm018106 2.45 Aitape jeep wksp w-lathe etc.jpg

awm078871 1.45 N Brit sp wksp jeep.jpg

I remember someone turning up to the 1994 REME Centenary at Arborfield with a Jeep he had restored with a Mobile Workshop arrangement on the back, as he had used one during the war. It had the Windscreen from a Dodge Ambulance on it as this was what he had used on his original wartime Jeep. Sorry, can't remember his name.

Have you tried contacting the REME Museum for details? They might have some photographs.

Thanks Guys for the info,

Brown Cow that is exactly what I was looking for, though I must admit I'm a bit stunned to see a lathe in the back of a jeep. I really didn't expect to see that, LOL!

woa2, thanks for the info on the chap at the centenary, I suppose that supports the theory that they did have some sort of mobile workshops on the back of jeeps. The REME museum is my next port of call but I thought you fine chaps could at least give me a steer in the right direction before I submitted a formal request... and that you have done!!

Thanks Guys for the info,

Brown Cow that is exactly what I was looking for, though I must admit I'm a bit stunned to see a lathe in the back of a jeep. I really didn't expect to see that, LOL!

woa2, thanks for the info on the chap at the centenary, I suppose that supports the theory that they did have some sort of mobile workshops on the back of jeeps. The REME museum is my next port of call but I thought you fine chaps could at least give me a steer in the right direction before I submitted a formal request... and that you have done!!

Hi OG

As you see the Aussies converted jeeps but I suspect that was late and post war. All Airborne REME workshops and light aid detachments used the dedicated purpose built airborne trailers such as John Cordons light weight electrical repair trailer, Agincourt44's Machinery trailer, Louie's saw benches etc and my Binned stores trailer. As you see several members have these trailers and they do appear at times. John Cordon's Elec repair trailer was with one of my old regiments (100 Regt RA) and in my time as a tiffy weapons REME I saw several of the old trailers still in use, veterans tell me they used the trailers a lot and couldn't do without them.

Keep your eyes peeled and a trailer will come up. I've just found a rotten chassis which is worth haveing just for the bits.

Regards

Tiffy

I spoke to the Tech Archivist at the REME Museum this week and his comment was that Jeeps were sometimes used as Mobile Workshops but not as a recognised vehicle type, being done locally with whatever was available. Mobile workshops were 3 tonners such as Ford WOT6. I suggest a visit to the REME Museum photo archive to see what you can find.