Canvas

ruston

I would like to clean the canvas hood and doors of my Auto Union Munga. I have tried using soap and water with poor

results and have asked a number of boating chandlers what can be used. I was amazed at their lack of knowledge - do they not clean the sails on their yachts or are the sails all now manufactured from plastic.

I have read somewhere that a pressure washer can be used but as the canvas is fairly old I am reluctant to do this.

Any information or advise would be welcome.

I would like to clean the canvas hood and doors of my Auto Union Munga. I have tried using soap and water with poor

results and have asked a number of boating chandlers what can be used. I was amazed at their lack of knowledge - do they not clean the sails on their yachts or are the sails all now manufactured from plastic.

I have read somewhere that a pressure washer can be used but as the canvas is fairly old I am reluctant to do this.

Any information or advise would be welcome.

If its cotton canvas I wouldn't like to power wash it all that will do is destroy the fibres and more importantly wash any waterproofing off. If its been sealed / waterproofed before the dirt might be ingrained or stuck to the canvas.

Go down the local saddler and get some wash for New Zealand rugs. That will do the job, a good wash and scrub with a soft brush. Reproof with something like brick seal. One other method, when it snows, take canvas and lie onto the snow. Then heap clean dry snow on to the canvas and scrub with a soft brush. This is a method used on Persian Rugs. Works very well, but you do need the right weather conditions. (Probably next week at the rate UK weather is going)

Edited by Tony B

You don't really want to 'clean' it - unless it is supposed to be white?

Used to be only two things for canvas, Fabsil for the inside as sealer and anti-mould, and Mesowax for the outside as a waterproofer, both from Grangers. I use both on my canvas and it is good stuff.

Fabsil is still around, but they don't make Mesowax any more.

Got this advice from a guy i met at a show who apparently re waterproofed tents, re my 9x9 that was leaking at the time

To clean use a very mild solution of warm/hot water bleach and detergens and use a scrubbing brush, this cleans it and removes oil n grease etc

next to water proof it , use thompsons water seal ( or screwfix no nonsense own brand as is cheaper) brush it on

Worked a treat on my tent so cant see why not on canvas roof

The old Thompsons waterseal used to say for use on canvas, but the new "improved" formula does not...so not sure if thats still an option?

I phoned them up, answer hasn't been tested. The EEC don't like you claiming things that haven't been tested! :D

Not sure on its conpatability but Screwfix s own no nonsense brand worked a treat on my 9x9 and on the canvas seats of my jeep ( they still in one piece) - the water just sits on the surface of the seats and doesnt soak in

Plus its only like 18£ for 5 litres