Basic questions re getting a direct-from-MoD vehicle on the road

Hello Folks,

I posted this earlier in the general forum - ooops, sorry - I think I should have posted it in here instead...

Apologies for not knowing the basics, but I need some simple advice about how to get my yet-to-be-delivered 1991 RB44 on the road.

Please can anyone explain the sequence of actions that I have to take?

The vehicle is a direct MoD release and has not been registered for the road before. There is no accompanying paperwork, but I do know the chassis number and the basic parameters like engine size and GVW.

VOSA? Number plates? DVLA? Road tax? Insurance? Where do I start, and then what do I do next??

Many thanks for any forthcoming advice!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hello Folks,

I posted this earlier in the general forum - ooops, sorry - I think I should have posted it in here instead...

Apologies for not knowing the basics, but I need some simple advice about how to get my yet-to-be-delivered 1991 RB44 on the road.

Please can anyone explain the sequence of actions that I have to take?

The vehicle is a direct MoD release and has not been registered for the road before. There is no accompanying paperwork, but I do know the chassis number and the basic parameters like engine size and GVW.

VOSA? Number plates? DVLA? Road tax? Insurance? Where do I start, and then what do I do next??

Many thanks for any forthcoming advice!

Cheers,

Andrew.

If its off Withams it should have the cast certificate which normally is needed to register the beast. It can be done another way through the MVT vehicle verification officer local to you for a fee. Withams for some reason seem not to want to pass this on.

The plates for vehicle weights, axle loadings and chassis / vin number is on the drivers side step area. Its worth taking a pictures of the various plates to forward to the DVLA / Vosa. Do you plan on converting into a camper or r you planning on leaving it as it is? Is the comms body empty or full of Clansman type of equipment? Depending on what you want to do it will either have to be MOT'd and plated at a VOSA test station or if converted into a camper and then MOT'd as a class 7 motor home.

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for this info.

I intend to keep the vehicle as-is, and hence to register it as an HGV.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do I do?

If Withams supply a cast certificate, then what is my first step?

If Withams don't supply such a certificate, then I contact the MVT and ask them to do what?

Sorry, but this is like peering into mud for me!

Cheers,

Andrew.

As soon as you have it at home insure the vehicle on the chassis number.

Contact VOSA they will talk you through how to register with them for the first MOT you will need the chassis number for this. If it passes the MOT you should be on the way to registering the vehicle with the DVLA.

As an aside NOVA is bobbing along in the background see here which might make it difficult for you to register the RB44 you really need the cast certificate or I sense trouble ahead. Get onto to Withams and pester them for the cast form. No cast form no money

MVT verification officer will be able to say when it was built and supply that to the DVLA.

Thanks Andy,

Great advice.

Many many thanks.

The mud that I've been peering into is slowly turning into murky water!

I've got the insurance in process (quoted £100 fully comp from Adrian Flux), and I have a query outstanding at VOSA with their Technical Officers re under-riders and due process.

This 'getting it on the road' experience is a strange masochistic blend of frustration, anticipation and expectation...

BBQ and beer now. Please have one on me - I promise I'll pay up if ever we meet!

ATB,

Andrew.