Hydraulic fittings

rog8811

I know that many of you here regularly work with hydraulics, I have never done so but need to do a bit of plumbing on a hydrostatic gearbox.

hydraulics01.jpg

Here is what I am looking at, the male threads measure up in every way as 3/8 BSP so that appears to be no problem. The female thread on the other hand seems to be somewhere between 1/4 BSP and 3/8 BSP (1/4 winds in like a ***** in a shirt sleeve and the 3/8 won't even start. The core diameter is 1/2". Can anyone tell what the female fitting is likely to be please?

I know that many of you here regularly work with hydraulics, I have never done so but need to do a bit of plumbing on a hydrostatic gearbox.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77323[/ATTACH]

Here is what I am looking at, the male threads measure up in every way as 3/8 BSP so that appears to be no problem. The female thread on the other hand seems to be somewhere between 1/4 BSP and 3/8 BSP (1/4 winds in like a ***** in a shirt sleeve and the 3/8 won't even start. The core diameter is 1/2". Can anyone tell what the female fitting is likely to be please?

try 9/16 UNF/JIC have you a thread guage?? I own my own hydraulics company and if I can help dont hesitate to contact me.

There is a clue in the name then? :D Thanks hoseman, I will see if I have the means to measure it, could you tell me the TPI in case it isn't in Zeus?

What I am aiming to do is to convert this 4WD box into 2WD which I am hoping is as simple as connecting up 2 flows with their returns....once I am absolutely sure which is which ...I am guessing male to female...:undecided:

There is a clue in the name then? :D Thanks hoseman, I will see if I have the means to measure it, could you tell me the TPI in case it isn't in Zeus?

What I am aiming to do is to convert this 4WD box into 2WD which I am hoping is as simple as connecting up 2 flows with their returns....once I am absolutely sure which is which ...I am guessing male to female...:undecided:

What is it off in the first place, when you say 4 wheel drive were there 4 individual outlets and returns ? Problems may occur if you blank off 2 ports to make it 2wd we need more info.

we need more info.

Yes indeed, it does sound like I would be stopping everything from running but this is my mini Jeep project.

sheetwork done01.jpg

I have got hold of this transaxle.

K574J.jpg

So the axle will still be driven, the hydraulics were I assume a pair for the front axle motors and a pair for the deck lift.

Off the top of my head its 18 TPI. JIC and UNF have the same TPI and threads as SAE also which is more of an automotive fitting. Let me know if your stuck and will consult my book of words n numbers!!!

Thanks Hoseman, I hunted high and low for my thread gauges to no avail but I am pretty sure your suggestion is correct.

I have an inquiry in with Tough torq USA to ask how to connect up or block off the ports, I hope they will confirm the threads as well, I may then be in the market for some bits.