Autocar wrecker and

Hello,

While searching my files, I found this photo of a Autocar wrecker. As this subject seems to be rare in information, I tought to post it. Note the rear winch and the absence of the 5th wheel.

g-xxx_24.jpg

Photographer Paul Miller (White Dog)

Source: Need A Tow ?

It is very similar to the one in a famous Tarawa photo, (dated March 1944).

9d825fd09a771aa4_landing

source:http://images.google.com/hosted/life/9d825fd09a771aa4.html

This could this be a later civil adaptation, post-war, but is also possible that a few more existed than previously considered. I have read in other forum that the navy bought several Autocar chassis to serve as recovery wreckers, but I tought they had U type cabs.

u-type_military_20537.jpg

Source:http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1930

I always had read that it was a "one-off" truck, maybe for Naval or Marines aviation, however there are photos of similar wreckers in Torokina and Vella Lavella airfields at the same time frame:

Torokina December 1943

torokina autocar wrecker 12_1943.JPG

(quoted original source: USMC)

Vella Lavella (December 1943), see the wrecker in the image center

7238054210_367e153d79.jpg

source: Vella Lavella airfield, South Pacific: "Black Sheep Country"

Engebi airfield, 18 May 1944.

F4U-1A17965VMF-422Engebi18MAY44-1.jpg

source: http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=129836#p129711

More information and images welcome, feel free to post!

G_Mendes

Edited by Goncalo Mendes
post image credit

Thanks NOS!

Bart, I didn't have the idea that OshKosh made 4x4 with cabs similar to Autocar.New to me!

Just a updat, it seems that one of the U-70/90 cab type wrecker survived, despite a rusted state...! If it was a prototype, it still exists (at least in 2010)!

Restored, it would be a fantastic unusual display truck!

Compare this:

5793476752_8e419ccfb8_z.jpg

source: Autocar Jungle

larger: Autocar Jungle

A front view, look at the top of the crane/boom frame:

2521285600_c0ffbde5f4.jpg

source: Wrecked Wrecker

(From other photos, its seems to be in a wooded area, with a lot of old trucks from the 1940 early-1950. All civiliam type cabs, Sterlings, Diamonds, Autocars, Internationals, etc.)

Whith this:

u-type_military_20537.jpg

Source:http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=1930

G_Mendes

• 1 month later...

The truck in the first photo and the "Tarawa" photo is an Autocar model U-8244-T 4 X 4 Crane Crash Tractor built for United States Navy Bureau of Aeronautics on contract NXs-5056 by The Autocar Company Ardmore, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. 30 were built in 1942 and 60 in 1943 for a total of 90. It has a wheelbase of 156" , weighs complete with cab, crane and fifth wheel 21290 Lbs. U-8244-T is powered by a Hercules RXC 6 cylinder, 529 C.I.D. with 51.3 A.M.A. horsepower. It is equipped with 12.00/20 14 ply, Bus Balloon, Sure Grip or A.W.T. type tread. The crane is a US6 T (military) with 3M607K-604K winch , FC-2 gear box (7Y-1350) manufactured by Gar Wood Industries, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. The crane has a telescoping boom from 14 to 22 feet. It can lift maximum 16000 Lbs. @ 14 feet 60 degrees and maximum 6000 Lbs. @ 22 feet 10 degrees (almost horizontal) Interestingly U.S. Navy trucks of this type were fitted with turn indicators.

The first photo in the last post by me had the image reversed. It was so printed in the instruction manual where these photos came from. The last photo in the last post is of my Dad driving our Autocar U-8244-T to the sandblast shop from where it was stolen. The two photos in this post are taken in front of the Autocar factory in Ardmore , PU-8244-T 7.jpgennsylvania across Lancaster Avenue from the main plant. This building still stands.

U-8244-T 6.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe that I have the autocar U8244T pictured at Tarawa in VanDerVeen's book. I would love to hear from interested people and will post photos later. The numbers that are slighly visible on the bonnet are VMD154 indicate that it belonged to a US Marine Corps Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron. Exciting stuff!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Find a new image of remains of the U-70 wrecker, in the "Haul of Fame Museum". Seems to be taken in 2016. It would be great if someone restored it, looks to be a rare one.

crane.png.d84b9732846258dd46d1684e2d72d66f.png

This image is a frame from a youtube video, by Anthony Lucibello, dated 06/01/2016.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeDHdVJCf_M

Edited by Goncalo Mendes