convoy flags

David Ives

Question

18 answers to this question

But if you are in The Netherlands, the lead vehicle has two blue flags (one each side of cab) the rest of the convoy each has a blue flag except the last one which carries a green flag.

I wonder why it is different over there?

But if you are in The Netherlands, the lead vehicle has two blue flags (one each side of cab) the rest of the convoy each has a blue flag except the last one which carries a green flag.

Heidi has a blue filter that fixes over the right-hand (kerbside) headlight for convoy driving. The last vehicle in a convoy would have a green'un. There is also a set of flags (blue, green & yellow) which fix to the bumper but I dont know when these are used instead of/aswell as the filters.

Anyone?

I have some poles, and I think I have some flags left. I had quite a few which I was selling on ebay a while back. I can check to see what I've got left if needs be, but I won't have any complete sets.

Chris

The red and yellow flags serve another purpose on the ranges.

When the commander goes to "Action", he will deploy the red flag from the turret, indicating that there will be rounds going down.

In the event of a prolonged misfire on the main armament ("Misfire wait 30 minutes" - I think a prolonged stoppage on the coax was "Stoppage wait 15 minutes" but it was a long time ago), he'd deploy the yellow flag.

At night, he'd use a Bardic torch with the appropriate filter aimed at the range control tower. I also suspect that on an active range at night any vehicle not at misfire/stoppage or action would show green so that the range staff knew that the vehicle hadn't lost its torch.

But don't quote me.

I have some poles, and I think I have some flags left. I had quite a few which I was selling on ebay a while back. I can check to see what I've got left if needs be, but I won't have any complete sets.

Chris

Cool. Definitely up for a blue and green if poss. Thanks for yet more support!!

MB

Ok, I've just checked and I have 1 yellow and 1 blue left. Leave it with me I'll try and dig out a green one over the weekend. The 2 I have found are slightly different sizes. Yellow is marked 'Zephyr Racing Pennants Ltd, 8345-99-125-0539 18" x 18" 1983'

Chris

Ok. Anyone wanting convoy flags is in luck, sort of. I have:

1 x set of yellow, green & blue. £15 inc P&P.

3 x set of green & blue. £10 inc P&P.

I have a bag of brand new poles but sending this will be difficult as they'll need to go in tubes etc.

Anyone who wants a set email me chris@sirhc.co.uk for more details. I can take paypal.

Chris

Ok. Anyone wanting convoy flags is in luck, sort of. I have:

1 x set of yellow, green & blue. £15 inc P&P.

3 x set of green & blue. £10 inc P&P.

I have a bag of brand new poles but sending this will be difficult as they'll need to go in tubes etc.

Anyone who wants a set email me chris@sirhc.co.uk for more details. I can take paypal.

Chris

PM sent Chris!!

Right. Having purchased a Green/Blue pair from Chris the wife reckons she can run some sets up. I've also located a firm that can supply a reasonable match as regards colours and fabrics.

So the question now is - who else would be interested in a full set of 4 and what do you reckon a set would be worth??

We don't want to "rip" people off.... :-) :-)

You'd have to provide your own pole but if Chris can post the dimensions up here that shouldn't be too hard!!!

Flag measurements are 12" vertical x 18" horizontal. 

As for colors:

Blue = Lead Vehicle

Black and white = Convoy Commander

Orange = any vehicle in convoy not marked by other flags

Red = Hazmat vehicle ( gasoline, ammunition, anything that goes boom in case of fire)

Yellow = disabled vehicle

Green = last vehicle in convoy

Front and rear vehicles should also have a orange rotating or flashing amber light in top if traveling at night. Lead vehicle should have yellow sign affixed to front bumper with 4" block letters with words that say "CONVOY FOLLOWS". Rear vehicle should have a similar sign affixed to rear of vehicle that says "CONVOY AHEAD".

Hope this helps. 

Major Baird

North Carolina Minuteman Coalition.