Dennis wreck? Love the drivers seat...

Redherring

This was a Dennis fire engine (PTO gearbox, brass radiator with starting handle through core).

It is early (1915 or earllier). It would have been upgraded over the years and this may account for the later (but I believe still Dennis) hubs for pneumatic tyre wheels.

I would love to see more information on this one.

Ben

The chassis number should stamped on the vertical face of the left hand rail in the area above the axle to the dumb iron. <br>

The shortened chassis and conversion to a farm truck happened to a number of such long wheel base trucks , at least here in NZ. It does appear the same occurred in Aus.<br>

We have a Dennis here of mid 1920's that was shortened by cutting the tail from the chassis and moving the rear spring hangers to become the forward hangers, while the previous front spring hangers are now at the rear. A wooden deck, bench type seat and it was away working. Plans are to restore this truck in that period of its life; Looking rough, with only a little faded paint, rough sawn timber deck, a sack cushion, bits of fencing wire holding together body section. Just another project for the time line.<br>

Doug

Dennis truck  07 011alt eml 2.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75340[/ATTACH]

Odd looking unit looks like it has been used as a farm utility; possibly a tractor.

Dennis?

What are your thoughts?

=======================

Yes, when I was a teenager in the 1960's a friends farm had a WW1 truck similar to this with a hay rake type cast seat. It had been used during WW2 as a tractor , had a second gearbox mounted behind the original gearbox & shortened prop-shaft. I understand this was quite common during WW2

There was a similar Dennis chassis and mechanical parts here in NZ up for sale a few years ago.I was told it was exported to the UK. That was originally a fire engine the chassis with dumb irons extending out the front.

Does any one know if this unit?

Doug