Advice required- new vehicle registraion

Evening all

I went along to the DVLA today to register my REO. I had lots of photos, chasis number, data plates etc, insurance and letter from IMPS to verify the age. They weren't amazingly helpful and said I had to contact customs & excise to see if any duty has been paid. Not sure if the US military pay duty on bring stuff into Europe...

So got the form they said from the Customs site, form C384, and it mentions where did I import it form and port of entry. I bought in the UK, its just never been road registered...

this is the form

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/c384.pdf

Any suggestions on how I fill the forms in??

Here's what I posted on Jeep registration thread a couple of months ago:

V55/5 Alert - V55/5 Alert
:trustme:

Did they give you a
VAT 414
form with the V55/5? If not, then expect to have one thrust at you. That'll wipe the smile off your face :cool2: I think this is a new policy as from end of November 2012 (ish).

This may - or may not - give you a problem. You need to be able to prove that import duty was paid when your jallopy from Uncle Sam came into the country. Only a letter from the manufacturer will suffice - I was told nothing else will do.

I haven't tested the water yet - but I think it will depend very much on who processes your application. You may be lucky - if so let us know. Keep well away from the office I went to......

Worst case scenario you'll have to pay VAT in lieu of import duty - but only if you can get the application to be considered in the first place without the right documentation. And VAT on what? Original price? Current value?

I'll put the kettle on, shall I? :laugh:

I will have to cross this bridge soon. Even a WW2 U.S. truck that spent its life here after the war will be caught if not previously registered (e.g. wrecker used on trade plates until parked up). If anyone has any recent experiences that might help us, don't be shy in coming forward! :-|

I've had the VAT question bringing vehicles back from Jersey. On the K3 the VAT was paid at the port. I was asked the value and said 'Well a 65 year old truck, say £250'. The agent said fine and I paid up and went! Katy the WC54 the Custom asked 'How much?' I told them she was a leagacy, they asked 'How long ago' I said one year, They hummed said 'Personal Property, have a safe trip'. So it does depend, be polite and smile!:-D

thanks for the replies. When I went today they said this is a new policy coming in on Monday.

You fill the form in, they see if any duty is to be paid and send the response to the DVLA who then contact you, they used to send the form back to you.

I guess I will have to fill the form in and see what happens

Coming in on Monday? Ha ha bloody ha.

I picked up 3 forms - one for a s/h German loading shovel and 2 for WW2 wreckers back in Feb(?) and was given the form for the German shovel. I was told I'd need a different form for the 2 x U.S. vehicles from HMCE.

As it was the agricultural dealer I got the shovel from said they'd sort the registration for me when I went and asked them to get a letter from the manufacturer / importer for me - I don't know whether they got a letter from the manufacturer or just fudged it somehow (it was sold new in the UK by a main dealer. I mean really - did they expect think it had been smuggled in?? .

What a complete shambles. I'd have thought the were more important things to worry about.

Edited by N.O.S.

OK so from 15th April the way you account for VAT on imports is changing:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-duty-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

However - and this is what annoys me - on 11th February I was told by DVLA that they would not newly register an imported vehicle unless a VAT/Import Duty form accompanied the V55/5 vehicle registration application form (see my post above).

The 15th April date seems to merely be the start of a new way of reporting that VAT has been paid or declaring liability - since at least early February DVLA have been enforcing this using C+E form 386 (from within EU) or C+E 384 (from outside EU).

See https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-duty-and-tax-vehicles-from-outside-the-eu

Paying VAT or duty

If you don’t qualify for a relief, you must pay VAT or duty. Fill in one of the forms below and send to HMRC:

- form C&E 386 - for individuals personally importing a vehicle

- form C&E 384 - for importing a vehicle for private use from outside the EU

See also http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm

and also (dated 4th April) https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

One thing my local DVLA ofice were very helpful about was filling in the import form (Though the vehicle had a previous English registration) There are various exemptions hidden in depth of the text, particullaly for vehicles over ten years old. You can only fill in the information on the form known to you, TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEF It would be worth sending a specific set of questions to your local VAT office outling the situation. Then at least you have oficial paperwork to wave about. Avoid do this over the internet! They can rely on the disclaimer on the front of the site. Written paperwork , it is a lot more difficult to change the mind.

One thing my local DVLA ofice were very helpful about was filling in the import form (Though the vehicle had a previous English registration) There are various exemptions hidden in depth of the text, particullaly for vehicles over ten years old. You can only fill in the information on the form known to you, TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEF It would be worth sending a specific set of questions to your local VAT office outling the situation. Then at least you have oficial paperwork to wave about. Avoid do this over the internet! They can rely on the disclaimer on the front of the site. Written paperwork , it is a lot more difficult to change the mind.

My experience last Autumn was as your's Tony, I re-imported a previously UK registered vehicle. I got to the winning post with all the necessary documentation or so I thought, to be asked for importation/VAT docs. I explained I was waved thro' by Customs & Excise at Dover when I brought it over on a truck and had none. The local office staff were very helpful and looked out the appropriate VAT document, which I filled it in there and then. A couple of days later I got everything back with tax disc in the post. Good helpful folk - Sad to say the local office is closing in October. Life may prove to be a little more difficult in future! Good luck - Jerry

OK so from 15th April the way you account for VAT on imports is changing:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-duty-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

However - and this is what annoys me - on 11th February I was told by DVLA that they would not newly register an imported vehicle unless a VAT/Import Duty form accompanied the V55/5 vehicle registration application form (see my post above).

The 15th April date seems to merely be the start of a new way of reporting that VAT has been paid or declaring liability - since at least early February DVLA have been enforcing this using C+E form 386 (from within EU) or C+E 384 (from outside EU).

See https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-duty-and-tax-vehicles-from-outside-the-eu

Paying VAT or duty

If you don’t qualify for a relief, you must pay VAT or duty. Fill in one of the forms below and send to HMRC:

- form C&E 386 - for individuals personally importing a vehicle

- form C&E 384 - for importing a vehicle for private use from outside the EU

See also http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/personal-vehicles.htm

and also (dated 4th April) https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

This is what I was told. I was at the DVLA in Wimbledon on Friday and they wouldn't start the process unless I had the form saying no excise was due. My problem with the form they said to fill in is that I bought the vehicle in the UK and it was brought here by the US government about 30 years ago. I guess I will just fill it in and see what happens...

My experience last Autumn was as your's Tony, I re-imported a previously UK registered vehicle. .....Life may prove to be a little more difficult in future! Good luck - Jerry

Jerry - that was last Autumn which is why you were able to do it. Since sometime before February the matter has been effectively taken out of DVLA's hands in that HMC+E have to be satisfied that duty has been paid before the registration application can be processed. My local DVLA office were quite adamant that unless the correct evidence was provided the application would not even be considered.

Hopefully the worst case scenario is that you'd have to pay VAT in lieu of import duty. It is not clear whether there is an avenue to present a case for not paying this, the rules seem to be very clear - provide the evidence that duty is paid or DVLA will not process the application.

I would suggest the quickest way is to to declare to HMC+E that no proof of duty being paid can be provided and request amount of duty due so it can be paid and the application along with supporting proof of payment can be passed so DVLA for processing.

One important thing to remeber with VAT. It is supposed to be 'On added value ' that a process or transaction adds to the object. So what is the 'Value' of a 70 year old non regitered truck? There is a good case and worth pushing for that the true value is the scrap value, around a couple of hundred quid. Daft thing is my vehicle actually came in from 'Outside the EEC'.