Ford GPW dating for the DVLA

arcot1751

Question

Hi, Is there anyone here who holds the build records for Ford Jeeps, as I have noticed my V5c does not give the year of manufacture for my jeep just its first year of registration in the UK (1989) ! It has been accepted as an Historic vehicle for tax exempt status on a dating certificate from the now closed Museum of Army Transport at Beverley but the DVLA will not accept this as evidence of MOT exempt status ? I believe it to have been made in April 1945 going by the chassis number which is clearly marked and listed on the V5c. If anyone has any advice as to how I can find the build records that will satisfy Swansea I would appreciate it or if you have the same problem what the answer is. Many Thanks - David :undecided:

5 answers to this question

Join the MVT, if not already a member.

Pin down the production date by chassis number, using the excellent resources on G503.com

Get MVT to inspect and confirm age / configuration of vehicle against chassis number and issue letter to that effect.

Send copy of letter to DVLA

Pin down the production date by chassis number, using the excellent resources on G503.com

Get MVT to inspect and confirm age / configuration of vehicle against chassis number and issue letter to that effect.

Thanks for that Gordon, I am a member of the MVT and have looked at G503.com the DVLA seem to suggest Glasses check book or something but if the MVT are accepted then that's fine. I intend to have a yearly MOT type inspection on the jeep anyway but just want the log book to confirm its true age NOT its first registration :laugh:

Post the chassis number on G503 and they will tell you month and year, then just get the MVT verification rep to formalise it.

Do not get sidetracked by the registration, engine number, or hood number. Only the chassis number matters, assuming the engine is the original type

Not quite as simple as that

The DVLA will only accept evidence from Glass's Check Guide OR Manufaturers records to change the date of manufacture

However if this evidence is not available than they will look at each request individually

What I suggest is a dating cert from the MVT (the DVLA state they will not accept this as the only evidence) as well as as much evidence to support your claim as you can find and I suggets this comes from different sources

We have had some success with a Champ in a similar situation

If you are unsure then either pm me or if you are a member of the MVT drop me an email to verification@mvt.org.uk