What's it's history.

Locolines

I am quite new to the military vehicle scene. I now own a 43 CCKW dump truck.

Like most enthusiasts , I imagine, I would love to know more about its life and history.. Where'd it go, what service did it see, etc. By reading previous posts, it would seem that being an American vehicle, it's almost impossible. When facilities allow I will be doing a full restoration in the future, so maybe with luck I can find some original markings.

However in the mean time I have discovered a few things concerning paint.

first layer was grey by the look of it, covered with olive drab, then a darker drab. After that it appears to be a desert sand colour, then olive drab on top of that. Another point is that the two rear bumpers appear to have been painted white a very long time ago.

It came to the UK from Norway , being brought here by Speilburgs film company in the early 1990s.

obviously a 70 year old vehicle will have various layers of paint, but I was surprised to see the sand colour.!

also was it normal to paint the bumpers at the back white ? Or was this done for a specific unit or area?

I am clutching at straws here I know, but any help would be useful !

I am quite new to the military vehicle scene. I now own a 43 CCKW dump truck.

Like most enthusiasts , I imagine, I would love to know more about its life and history.. Where'd it go, what service did it see, etc. By reading previous posts, it would seem that being an American vehicle, it's almost impossible. When facilities allow I will be doing a full restoration in the future, so maybe with luck I can find some original markings.

However in the mean time I have discovered a few things concerning paint.

first layer was grey by the look of it, covered with olive drab, then a darker drab. After that it appears to be a desert sand colour, then olive drab on top of that. Another point is that the two rear bumpers appear to have been painted white a very long time ago.

It came to the UK from Norway , being brought here by Speilburgs film company in the early 1990s.

obviously a 70 year old vehicle will have various layers of paint, but I was surprised to see the sand colour.!

also was it normal to paint the bumpers at the back white ? Or was this done for a specific unit or area?

I am clutching at straws here I know, but any help would be useful !

Hey Locolines, how about a picture of your Dumper ? :)

Kind regards

Vulture

With very few exceptions, CCKWs were OD or Gray (Navy). The exceptions would by fire trucks, or trucks that would have worked on an AAF base... they could have been painted some sort of high visibility color or marking. There also was a one time trial of camouflage (for the Mediterranean theater IIRC).

If you have the book GMC a Universal Truck you'll see LOTS of CCKWs in civilian livery of all colors.

As for history, the best you can hope for is to determine your registration number (painted on the bonnet) and *maybe* see that in a photo. But the odds of that are pretty low.

Every truck has a story, mine supposedly never left the North West part of the US and when released from service went to work at Boeing Field (yes, THAT Boeing field) yet I have never come across a photo of the truck at the field.... but the doors ARE painted Boeing Field, and there was firefighting pumps/sirens on it when I got it.... but can I *prove* it? Other than 'the previous owner told me' nope. Its a great story though.

first layer was grey by the look of it, covered with olive drab,

That's factory primer and finish. It would have had hood numbers too but that's it.

You can look for shipping or preservation stencils, bumper codes.