TANK OF THE WEEK: Contentious.

It was Part of “Project Prodigal” a British investigation into future fighting vehicles. It was originally intended to carry a 20 pounder gun and operated by a 2 man crew. The prototype was based on a modified Comet chassis and used to test some of the principles but the project got no further and no armour plan was ever designed. Click on the picture below for more information...

E1976.199_Contentious_Kirkudbright_October%201964_7906-C3.jpg

In some ways this concept reminds me of the Swedish "S" tank - in particular the use of the suspension for elevation and tracks for traverse of the main gun - does anyone know if there is a connection (if only that one was aware of the other) or were they independent developments ?

Iain

In some ways this concept reminds me of the Swedish "S" tank - in particular the use of the suspension for elevation and tracks for traverse of the main gun - does anyone know if there is a connection (if only that one was aware of the other) or were they independent developments ?

Iain

The British Army did borrow a couple of 'S Tanks' from Sweden during (I think) the 80s and trialled them in exercises with the BAOR. Remember at the time the next battle was expected to be a defensive fight in German to slow the Warsaw Pact advance until the Americans could arrive, though doubtless tactical nukes would have been used on both sides. The concept of a low profile tank made sense, more of a self-propelled tank killer than tank in the conventional sense.

jh