New from South Florida

Hello from South Florida.

I have joined the forum for several reasons, all of which are important to me. My Grandfather served the duration of WW2 in the 27th Lancers, a reconnaissance unit of the RAC and I have been researching the type of vehicles he would have used during his service. I also have a great interest in the Ferret Scout Car and am considering purchasing one as I am an avid collector of both Triumph motorcycles and Lee Enfield rifles and why not add a military vehicle or two !

My username Amatikulu, is taken from a place in Zululand South Africa where I lived for many years before eventually settling in the USA

Thanks

Neil

Edited by amatikulu

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the friendly forum. We all love photos of other peoples collections. Some pic's of your Lee Enfileds would be nice =)

Where in southern Florida do you live? I usually try to visit Orlando once a year.

Goran N

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Goran, I live three hours due south of Orlando on the southern shores of Lake Okeechobee

Here is some old pictures of my collection

Neil006.jpg

Neil007.jpg

Edited by amatikulu
added pictures

I apologise if the pictures come across as showing off, that was not my intention.

In the USA, I have been collecting for over a decade and have been focussing on collecting one of each variant of the Lee Enfield from each of the manufacturers. I chose the Lee Enfield as I was born in the UK, and here in the USA, British rifles are relatively inexpensive as more american collectors seek out american made rifles.

I do have a good colection of the trainers but am missing a few of the earlier ones, and the later No.9. I also collect items like the Swift Training Rifles and Armourer skeleton rifles.

I apologise if the pictures come across as showing off, that was not my intention.

In the USA, I have been collecting for over a decade and have been focussing on collecting one of each variant of the Lee Enfield from each of the manufacturers. I chose the Lee Enfield as I was born in the UK, and here in the USA, British rifles are relatively inexpensive as more american collectors seek out american made rifles.

I do have a good colection of the trainers but am missing a few of the earlier ones, and the later No.9. I also collect items like the Swift Training Rifles and Armourer skeleton rifles.

That Sir, is an incredible collection to own!.....

..Just wondering .are Lee Enfields relatively available over there then or have you really had to diligently 'hunt them down' ??...:laugh:

......curious and pondering just 'how and why' they made the journey across the Atlantic?..did a 'branch' of the US Services possibly use them?.... or have they ended up in the US from other means such as private imports ??

Thanks anyways !

and PS!:.in the first picture... on the right a few in from the end .....is that a 'Jungle Carbine' model??.... :) I know they weren't supposed to be all that 'useable' but I think they look fantastic ...very purposeful looking .... even if they apparently kicked like a mule , were louder than a thunderclap and not always accurate ! :)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Excuse the Drool, it is a fantastic collection and I'm as jealous as hell! BUT don't I notice some Lee Metfords in there? :cool2:

I have a number 2 .22 Lee Enfeild, at least that's what I'm told tracking it down is proving diffuclt, also to repay the US compliment a Mossberg 42a. Wasn't the US srvice rifle the Springfeild 04 a Mauser copy? Aparently Mauser sued the US for Pataent Infrigment , and won, so during both wars whilst useing and manufacturing the 04 a royalty had to be paid to Mausuer (You couldn't make it up!) I have shot a number 5 in Jersey belonging to someone I know, wasn't nice to shoot, not because of recoil it just didn't seem to fit as well as the No1 or No 4.

Edited by Tony B

Excuse the Drool, it is a fantastic collection and I'm as jealous as hell! BUT don't I notice some Lee Metfords in there? :cool2:

I have a number 2 .22 Lee Enfeild, at least that's what I'm told tracking it down is proving diffuclt, also to repay the US compliment a Mossberg 42a. Wasn't the US srvice rifle the Springfeild 04 a Mauser copy? Aparently Mauser sued the US for Pataent Infrigment , and won, so during both wars whilst useing and manufacturing the 04 a royalty had to be paid to Mausuer (You couldn't make it up!) I have shot a number 5 in Jersey belonging to someone I know, wasn't nice to shoot, not because of recoil it just didn't seem to fit as well as the No1 or No 4.

Sorry Tony yer quite right of course it's a No.5 Mk1..'Jungle carbine' was only it's unofficial name as I understand:red:

PS: I didn't realise til reading up on them a few years back that they were actually developed more for / with Airborne operations in mind rather than for 'Jungle' use anyways :) ...so ....guess they should be more accurately known as an 'airborne carbine' perhaps !!

Here are some of my:

Training rifles

Neil003.jpg

Sniper/Target rifles

Neil005.jpg

Some No.4's

IM001355.jpg

Some No.1's

IM000680.jpg

Some Long Lee Enfields

Neil002.jpg

Some Carbines

Neil001.jpg

In anwer to rattlesnakebob's question, the USA has had a long history of importing military surplus from around the world, but it has pretty much dried up since the early 2000's. So if you go to a gunshow the chances are that you will find a few lee enfield's for sale, but they will often be the more common variants. The dilligence comes when you find rare variants or hard to find accessories. Here you have to network and do your research. That is why I have joined this web site. I'm hoping to improve my knowledge, make some good contacts and share my love of collecting with like minded people.

Yes it is an incredible collection ....very of it envious mate :)....

Being in Florida I'm guessing you've already seen the collection at the Chickamauga battlefield Museum??

I was lucky to be able to visit there myself a few years ago and if you haven't seen it yet, it's well worth a day if you're ever in the area :)

Tony B, the oldest Lee Enfield is around 1896, I haven't found any of the Lee Metford rifles yet :) the oldest rifle I own is a Snider Mark III, from 1861.

Rattlesnakebob, I'll put Chickamauga on my list as I have not been there.