Portable Vehicle Tracker

Tony Pearson

Question

Hi Guys

After a bit of advice about a tracker, I want one that i can move from vehicle to vehicle easy so must be portable (I would hide it somewhere) one that i can easily track from my phone or PC and can be used in Europe and one that preferably dose not have a monthly cost if that's possible.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I was considering doing something like http://www.traceamobile.co.uk/ when we went to Normandy last year (vehs with a 12v system would be easy to keep a mobile charged up and hidden somewhere).

Never got further than that, but i do know that when we were looking at location info for the fleet of 750 odd vans (we were not bothered about wind speed, fuel consumption, breaks etc) this sort of solution was much much cheaper than a tracker (and we had to give all the drivers mobiles anyway)...

Ken

You need sales@carrotech.com

Great tracker, live all the time and records every movement so you can study your route every day at your leisure.

£249 plus vat. to buy outright but you will have a annual charge for the sim card inside, this is £72 per year.

I have one in all my vehicles and they are east to move around from vehicle to vehicle. Had the oldest one 4 years now and it does everything I could want. I can still look back at last years Normandy trip and wish I was there now!

Also if anyone should cut the power to my vehicle or try to move it from its 'ring fenced position' I immediately get a text and an email and I can see whats happening on my phone or computer. Therefore I or the Police can intercept......................and If I get to the thieving sods first...........:-)

ring their office on 01379854600 talk to Russell and he will take you through it whilst in front of your computer

what about this one, Stockade Tracker, live all the time but a bit temperamental although it can be tracked, ring fenced and linked via google maps as to where it is etc and own back up battery if power cut etc. £149 although if member of MVT there was an offer of it for £99

http://www.rbs-propertymarking.co.uk/gps_tracker_50.html

I looked at different options in August and bought the GT-170 GPS GSM tracker see http://www.simvalley.us/gt-170. Haven't actually made use of it yet but did get it out of the package and read the manual.

It all looks good and fairly easy to use. If I remember correctly it also had good reviews.

You can use a prepaid SIM card. It will alert you with a text message containing its location if it moves beyond a preset distance. You can also send it a text asking it where it is and it will reply with a text. The text message contains a link to Google maps. If you click the link on a smart phone it will show you the position.

Daniel

Edited by dan110
forgot to mention prepaid option