373 rasc mt ww1 1917

Morris C8

This is a photo of 373 MT ASC in the UK, photo taken on 22 June 1917, can any one ID the trucks [ one of the trucks 2nd on the left has CK or CH 455 and one other has RA ? 1202 or add any more info on the 373 ASC unit. Photo from my collection.

Keith

373 MT RASC 1917 June 1917  ww1.jpg

Edited by Morris C8

Ah Keith, so it was you who outbid me then! Only joking. Interesting photo. Did you win the others in the set? It is ASC not RASC as it was not made Royal until 1918.

The truck with the angular shaped bonnet is a Hallford, while the one to the right of it looks to be a Leyland. The one to the back left looks to be either a Maudslay or a Pagefield, but could be something else.

RA registration is from Derby from 1924. CK455 is from Preston 1905 and CH455 is also Derby but date unkown.

373 Co was the 11th auxiliary MT Company formed 23 June 1915, disbanded 30 June 1920. Operating at Colchester, Bedford and Hitchin.

Hi Keith.

Back left corner, a Commer (I think). Bottom right where you can see the radiator is an early Leyland (pre-war) and the one to the left of it is a Hallford (A & E Hall of Dartford). Bottom left is very tricky but might be a Peerless. Can't really tell but those are my thoughts. No doubt Tim and Runflat will come back with their thoughts very shortly!

Cheers!

Steve

The Leyland is very interesting. Any chance of a larger/clearer photo? My impressions are 'big motor' as used on U and W class. Early radiator badge on large, squarish and high radiator top tank as used on U, and possibly X4 and W. Large Cowl looks to have a crease - fire engine? Was this originally a U class 80HP fire engine chassis before conversion to a lorry?

I have had time to have another look at the Leyland. I believe it to be a U class of 55HP 4 cyl L-head and built between 1910/11 to 1918. The Leyland Society journal records this combination as principally used on fire engines of the period.

The engine and radiator of the fire engine in the fire museum in Hobart look identical.

Robert

TasFireMus-Leyland U55.jpg