Mk 1 Aircrew Cold Weather Suit

Eaglehurst

Not seen one of these before and looks like an early version - perhaps even trial. Has its original cardboard box. It looks very much like the old cold weather Groundcrew Parka sewn to a pair of Groundcrew Trousers - bit Heath Robinson but again this may be a trial version.

Interestingly there is another available on eBay currently that looks like a slightly later version with a more complete description on the label.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130849054571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (8).jpg

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (1).JPG

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (2).JPG

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (6).jpg

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (7).jpg

RAFMk1FlyingOveralls (11).jpg

Edited by Eaglehurst

I believe they introduced during the 60s, could be wrong though and it could have been earlier.

The RAF Museum has an example that belonged to MRAF Sir Michael Beetham.

Would be interesting to see correspondence as to how this suit came into existence. As I say it looks like 1950s Groundcrew parka and trousers just sewed together! The example on Ebay looks like a later production version but in the example I have the blue material for parka and trousers are slightly different shades! Look very much like an early prototype version not yet in production and cobbled together for trial purposes...

Unfortunately, the "22c" list doesn't give dates, although everything is listed in sequential order......the very early 22C numbers dating back to pre-WW2.........I would guess mid-late 1950s for the MK1 suit, the grey colour (which did vary in shade) lasting up to 1969 for aircrew clothing.........the cut of the garment, particularly the top, is very similar to the heavy aircrew parka that was introduced during the 50s...........I think these garments were introduced specifically for the cold-war era when RAF units were likely to be deployed to the northern extremes of NATOs flanks.....this being in the 50s........