Bedford MW Return spring?

rippo

Hello,

Hoping someone may be able to help me with this. According to the bedford parts book there is return spring on the carburettor. Shown in the picture below, item 50,51. I'm missing the spring and plate and am struggling to find where the plate would bolt to.

Has any one got the return spring on there bedford? QL's must has a return spring to but it would bold somewhere else?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

I have not looked at my engine for a while, but seem to think it the bracket is on an adjacent manifold stud. QL carb is the same, so no difference in that respect.

Hi John,

I have not looked at my engine for a while, but seem to think it the bracket is on an adjacent manifold stud. QL carb is the same, so no difference in that respect.

Hello Richard, is the tootle linkage not a bit different on a QL? As I botch a new carb I had to use the linkage and choke valve bits of my old carb. I am not sure what type of carb I botch from John Morther but for sure it was not complete the same set up as my original QL carb.

Tomorrow will have a look what the part number is on the box of the new carb.

Guy

Hello Richard, is the tootle linkage not a bit different on a QL? As I botch a new carb I had to use the linkage and choke valve bits of my old carb. I am not sure what type of carb I botch from John Morther but for sure it was not complete the same set up as my original QL carb.

Tomorrow will have a look what the part number is on the box of the new carb.

Guy

Hello Guy,

From what I can see, it looks the right type of carb, but the part number will confirm. Just found a photo of my engine and I had made a bracket and secured it to a manifold bolt. My engine had been fitted with a Chevrolet carb by the Danish army so it is now back to the correct Solex carb.

Richard

Hello,

I've been having a look through my rusty metal, and found this, in a box with some manifold bolts. It's only thin plate 1-2mm? Is that the same as yours guy? The holes are different sixes one is about 6mm and the other 4mm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72772[/ATTACH]

Regards

John

Looks the same as the bracket on my QL John.

and the part number of the new carb I have on my bedford.

Hi Guy,

That carb part number (C583) actually relates to an OX and OY. The QL carb is C590, the only real difference I think is the setting of the speed governor. The governer is set for around 40mph in top gear, but can inhibit speed when trying to get up a hill in a lower gear, if you find that happening the seal can be removed a slight adjustment made.

The QL has a longer spring bracket than the MW due to the difference in the throttle linkage.

regards, Richard

Hello Richard, my discovery's I made with the replacement carb was that( if it is a ox carb that I have on my QL) was that the choke valve works just the outer way round!

The problem on the set up of the ox carb on the Ql is that when you pull out the choke complete you don't have any choke, and the way round if you put the choke completely in a have full choke.

I recovered the choke valve from my old QL carb and that now work's as it is intended.

First have to make a test drive to see what the governor will do!

Guy

Hello Richard, my discovery's I made with the replacement carb was that( if it is a ox carb that I have on my QL) was that the choke valve works just the outer way round!

The problem on the set up of the ox carb on the Ql is that when you pull out the choke complete you don't have any choke, and the way round if you put the choke completely in a have full choke.

I recovered the choke valve from my old QL carb and that now work's as it is intended.

First have to make a test drive to see what the governor will do!

Guy

Guy,

I noticed from your photos that you had swapped the choke assembly ;)