Mobile chlorination unit

Mobile Chlorination Unit

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?2446-Army-Water-Supply

Thanks to John (cordenj) for link to above interestingarticle.

My unit was manufactured by Bell Bros of Denton Manchester,has a SIHI high pressure pump powered by a 10 HP petrol twin cylinder Petterhand start engine. Pretty sure it’s not military as it only has a small ringhitch that would not fit a NATO jaw and also has chrome hubcaps! Though I thinkthey were painted over. Apart from the Bell Bros plaques on it the only otherID is the mil style stencils, so I was wondering if that sort of thing was usedby Civil Defence or if anyone has a better idea?

I bought it as an accessory to my 1952 Series One Land Rover,it tows ok but it’s a bit bigger than I thought and as the pump and engine needsome work I might render it down to the useful components. Would be a shame todo that before I find out if it has any significance.

Bell Bros are extinct and the SIHI pump people only haverecords back to the 60s so haven’t been able to help me date it apart fromsaying it’s 60s or older.

Can anybody here throw light on the meaning of the markings?

Thanks, Geoff.

Geoff,

Although I don't believe your unit is ex-military, it would be a shame to break it for parts.

As a guess, I'd say it was 1950's vintage and links in with cold war Civil Defence. But I don't know anything about this specific unit.

Have you been to the Cold War Museum at Cosford? They may have more info on your chlorination unit, and/or may be interested in it if you wanted to move it on

Post-nuclear strike, having a mobile and effective potable water supply for the remaining population was a priorty for emergency planners. There were national plans to instigate small emergency reservoirs (rubber walled tanks) which would have required mobile chlorination plant like yours.

All this equipment was regularly updated with more modern versions (right until late 1980's), and held in stores across the UK as part of a co-ordinated response.

When the water companies were privatised in 1989, each company was then allocated equipment from the national register; but as the threat of nuclear war rescinded, the old equipment was mostly disposed of durng the 1990's.

However, some equipment from 1950's was still tucked away in storage by some companies until very recently, when it and later versions from 1960s and 1970s was finally disposed of for use abroad.

• 2 months later...