M38 DOUGLAS Wiring Connectors- where to obtain?

N.O.S.

A neighbour came round today - he's restoring a rare M38 USAF Jeep and is having trouble locating wiring connectors.

He has a new harness with the original style (DOUGLAS or DOUGLASS?) bayonet connectors but does not have enough of the internal part of the connectors - a simple insulated collar into which each wire end pushes. Standard bullet connectors are wrong size.

Any ideas where he could get these? Needs around 12 - 15. They are 1" long, 3/8" o.d..

M38 Connector.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Unfortunately not, Lee - they are a specific size to fit the unusual connector. Apparently it is called a Douglas Waterproof Connector and was used on M38 and early M38A-1 jeeps. Both wires made up with male connectors and pushed into central female connector - the whole lot is held together by a two part male / female bayonet twist-lock case (shell) - the bit needed is the insulated female connector sleeve in the centre, see below:

Component parts:

DOUGLAS1.jpg

One side assembled:

DOUGLAS2.jpg

If the Harleston Engineering boys are looking, these are for Geoffrey (Whiskers) :-)

Edited by N.O.S.

• 3 weeks later...

I have all of the Douglas connector components, including the bakelite connectors, in stock here in Canada. Easy to ship. Generally the reproduction M-series harnesses do not come with the Bakelite connectors: they are hard to find in quantity and you are expected to use the connectors from your old harness. PM me for details and I can email a list of Douglas connector components.

.... Brian

• 1 month later...