WS 11 aerials

Ben..

Hi

Does anyone have any info on the types of aerial used on early carriers fitted with a WS 11. I think the diameter may be 7/8 but I'm not sure.

Lots of info on WS 19 but almost none on the WS11.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Signal Training Volume III Pamphlet No.19 is reasonably (!) comprehensive. :-D

Page 12:

"The aerials used with Wireless Set No.11 are similar in form to those used with Wireless Set No.1, but rods 7/8-in. diameter are employed. The set may be used with vertical rods up to a maximum of 21 ft.,or 15 ft. with "top". The "top" employed is that already in use with Wireless Set No.1 (which is joined to the 7/8-in. rods by a special adapter provided for that purpose), viz. four 3-ft. 3/8-in. diameter spokes.

For working over longer ranges half-wave horizontal aerials may be used, viz. :--

i. Horizontal, half-wave, single feeder, matched impedance type (commonly known as the Wyndom aerial).

ii. Horizontal half-wave end-fed type.

These two aerials are discussed in detail in Chapter IX."

(I'm _not_ going to type in Chapter IX, thankyouverymuch. The whole manual can be requested from the WS19 group in the usual way. (Doc 5088 to save you hunting for it.) :D

Appendix 3 of Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 lists a lot of aerial components used with the WS11:

3, 4 & 6-ft, 7/8" diameter Dural (Aerial Rods "D")

3, 4 & 6-ft, 5/8" diameter Steel (Aerial Rods "E") - for animal pack station

Aerial Rods "F" as used with the WS19, etc.

Aerial Rods D Kit No.1 (18-ft set in dural for ground station)

ditto No.2 for vehicle station (I assume the supplied base in the kit is different - the ground station probably uses Insulator W/T 'B').

Masts, Dural, 4-ft and 10-ft

Aerial bases used were No 2 (spring mounted Ebonite), No.3 (Flexible rubber), both for the "D" rods, and No.4 for "E" rods.

---------

Aerial Rods 'D' still turn up today as part of the 34-ft mast kit used with the WS19 (or the 32-ft kit for the WS62), but the rods will be steel instead of Duralumin and 3-ft in length. I suspect all the alloy ones have rusted away or been melted down by now.

Chris.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Does anyone have any info on the types of aerial used on early carriers fitted with a WS 11. I think the diameter may be 7/8 but I'm not sure.

Lots of info on WS 19 but almost none on the WS11.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Ben,

special aerial bracket WS11 link on ebay haha. when you open the thread first time if gives a link with WS11 to ebay

Peter