WC 54 found

44 cargo

I found this in a shed in the mountains after been tipped off by a guy who knew of a military ambulance that was rotting away and the lady owner did not want to sell it because it belonged to her deceased husband and did not want to see it wrecked, I convinced her I was in to restoring these vehicles and she was keen for me to have it. - I thought, I have a shed full of unfinished projects, I am not getting any younger and another project I did not need so after thinking about this, I went ahead and bought it. It came originally from France to Norfolk Island ( of mutiny on the bounty fame ) and then to New Zealand in 1985. The owner died in 1989 and it has been in this shed ever since. here are some pics for you - enjoy, CharlieIMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Ouch! The moths have been busy. The beauty is, period repairs, and my poor old girl has more than one, were cut metal to fit over gap and drill with self tappers. I'll happily send you photos. The poor thing has worked for a living. What ius the chassis number? It will give you some idea of her age.

I've done that job and it's no fun, see here ...

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/td20.htm

Best solution is a donor cab section. That particular section is common to all 39-47 Dodge US, Canadian, military, and civilian hard cabs.

To do it 'right' you have to open the doors and drill out the gutter spot welds, do the same for the inner wiper panel, and then you can get into that joint and rework it. The roof seam is a triple panel. there is a back bit, a front bit, and the original seam is kind of a 'Z' shaped bit of tin which was spot welded to one side, and then the lot spot welded together. Have to say the originals I've taken apart were very approximate too.

The screen pillar sides are very solid (= thick ) but the roof isn't. If you had a donor cab you could split it at the top of the firewall and just fit the lot, which would save having to relocate the screen accurately.

Edited by Gordon_M

Ouch! The moths have been busy. The beauty is, period repairs, and my poor old girl has more than one, were cut metal to fit over gap and drill with self tappers......

I now have one with some nicely fitted patches. First thoughts 'oh heck BIG job to remove patches' ......second thought 'think I'll just make up a story about it being hit by a B-17 and repaired by the airframe mechanics'. :-D

I now have one with some nicely fitted patches. First thoughts 'oh heck BIG job to remove patches' ......second thought 'think I'll just make up a story about it being hit by a B-17 and repaired by the airframe mechanics'. :-D

To me there part of her history. She was rebuilt in 1952, and some of those repairs have been on longer than I've been alive. Yes, I could replace repair and refit, at great cost and time. Then all you'd have a clone. The repair pattern makes her unique! Ambulances to me are special. These were not Rich men's toys. They were built to keep men alive! They belong to those who served, those who they saved , and most importantly, those who did not.

To me there part of her history. She was rebuilt in 1952, and some of those repairs have been on longer than I've been alive. Yes, I could replace repair and refit, at great cost and time. Then all you'd have a clone. The repair pattern makes her unique! Ambulances to me are special. These were not Rich men's toys. They were built to keep men alive! They belong to those who served, those who they saved , and most importantly, those who did not.

Thanks guys for your input, there is a lot of work to do but it is far from being a hopeless case, there are a lot of redeeming features there is absolutly no rust at all in the chassis, the engine has good compression and it seems to be complete with stretchers and all the bins and brackets in the back. My priorities at the moment are to finish an MWD I have however I want to get the ambulance going so I can give it a run periodically so it won't deteriorate any further and keep it out of the weather. This would be great to have at shows because I can use it as a camper and sleep in the back that is If I can get rid of the smell of rat urine. :) cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I know of a front part from a 1943 Dodge WC54 ambulance belonging to a friend of mine in Holland.

He bought a cut down WC54 from France and I helped him find a new body for it. The cab on his old one, cut off just by the spare tire carrier, is for sale.

It's hard to see, but it is hidden behind my Willys MBT and a pile of parts off my WC51:

WC54_20110602_3282_2.jpg

Contact me off forum at goran_noren[at]yahoo[dot]com

Good luck,

Goran N