importing from the EU

Depends on size! That dictates what size transport you need. Cost will also depend on location of vehicle and destination over here.

For a big vehicle needing a 24 tonne artic step frame, allow £1000 - £2000. There are several transport companies who regularly run loads to and from UK / Netherlands, you may be lucky to get a back load. One example of a helpful company is Richard Long Transport http://www.richard-long.co.uk/

Transport company will ideally need some paperwork e.g. bill of sale. They can advise what is required.

Should be no problems on entry to UK.

You must set the deal up with seller to ensure no delays with pickup as transport costs can mount for hold ups.

I faced the same situation earlier this year as I needed to collect a ww2 truck of under 3 tons. I hired a 7.5 ton beavertail truck, drove down to the Channel tunnel, onto the freight Shuttle and drove up through Antwerp to Holland. I loaded the truck after a night in a cheap hotel (weekend rate). I loaded up bright and early on the Sunday morning, parted with my hard earned pennies and returned home. At the exit of the Channel tunnel I was waved straight through by HM Customs and on home. £360.00 of diesel burnt and £180 for each crossing on the Shuttle was not cheap, but I'm a control freak and I knew what I'd purchased before committing my money, had ensured the seller had cancelled the Dutch registration and declared the vehicle as exported. Much later I registered the vehicle on British plates and was able to hand over the old Dutch papers (which were checked by the local dvla office). The only hiccup with dvla was I didn't have any Customs import papers, which the local dvla helpfully produced for me to sign and all went through after a few days. I hasten to add I had previously had the vehicle's age inspected and verified by MVT as well. The dvla were helpful and exact in there requirements. It was a long drive 9 hours out and the same home but well worth it. Good luck. Jerry

Not wanting to hijack this but as far as I'm aware you can drive within the EU according to UK regs as long as you are in a vehicle that is UK registered, taxed etc. However you need to be very clear of your facts and have your paperwork in good order if pulled over.

Back on thread, I had my new Ward laFrance delivered from Northern France to my driveway for £500 on a truck that was running light on his return. I had to wait a few weeks but if you're not in a rush it can be done cheaply. I've done colecting vehicles and driving them back and frankly it isn't worth the hassle when transport is that cheap.

- MG

That's a good point, in The Netherlands you need a truck license to drive anything over 3.5 tons maximum authorised mass (or GVW).

Wow thanks for all the great replies im looking at a CCKW that has taken my fancy, and would like some advice on bring it back over by container, 40ft? such as would it fit and has any one done this before? and what sort of cost may be invoved? i would love to drive up there and collect it myself however the lack of suitable flatbed prohibits that one!

Mike - the shopvan is coming along nicely:cool2:

James

I would have thought the cost of moving by container would be considerably more than using a stepframe unit, simply by sheer complexity of the operation. Find a haulier to do the job in one!

Agreed! I can see no advantage to doing it that way and it will cost a great deal more.

- MG

If you are not crossing an Ocean you don't need a container.

You'd want the seller to secure all loose bits, lash everything down ( canvas, hood hoops, seat cushions, etc, etc. and also provide a bill of sale with the amount on it.

You would probably be liable for some sort of import duty and VAT but much less from the EU than outside. Not sure if you would need a customs form ( C&E 386 - something like that ) showing duty paid and chassis number before you could UK register it.

A non-running CCKW shouldn't be that expensive, so it might be worth declaring actual cost and paying some duty up front to avoid hassle later on.

have the seller make a sale document,

the transport company should make a cmr document to keep with paperwork he needs to make the trip.

the responsabele person with loading/securing is the driver. you are legaly responsabele for the transported goods, like drugs, guns etc. fist to go to prison is the driver though.

if it's a heavy vehicle, tell the driver to get chain straps as not every driver carries them.

for the rest, this is that one europe thing with open borders ;)

Post 4 contains a link to a very reputable haulier whose trucks constantly work between UK and Netherlands, and who has brought back mvs.

Suggestion: Before you speak to a haulier, make sure you have a plan for both loading the dead GMC, and unloading it. Hauliers don't like delays, especially with back-loads, so if you can assure them you've thought it through and have arrangements in place they will be more confident and hence more likely to offer a better rate. ;)

Can seller load? When - to suit haulier's schedule? Can you unload? Is an on-board winch required? (you'd be surprised how few machinery trailers have a winch, this will restrict your options).

The vast majority of suitable vehicles plying between UK and mainland Europe are articulated step frame trailers.