Park Royal Pigs?

fv1609

Hi Clive,

I see that both Pigs carry the markings of a Royal Signals unit in BAOR. Is it possible that they were at Park Royal for interior fitment for a particular role? If you had the record cards for these vehicles, it may shed a clue. The AEC and Trojan in the background might date it, I will say mid to late 60's.

Hi Clive,

I see that both Pigs carry the markings of a Royal Signals unit in BAOR. Is it possible that they were at Park Royal for interior fitment for a particular role? If you had the record cards for these vehicles, it may shed a clue. The AEC and Trojan in the background might date it, I will say mid to late 60's.

Pretty much there Richard. Here is the message I sent to the PRV webmaster.

The two vehicles are Mk 1 Humber "Pigs". The Humber chassis was made by the Rootes Group in Coventry. The armoured bodies made by Joseph Sankey & the Royal Ordnance Factories in Nottingham & Woolwich.

These are both Mk 1 FV1612 FFW (Fitted For Wireless) as opposed to FV1611 the personnel carrier. They are not yet FFR (Fitted for Radio) although these conversions were available from late 1962. All Pigs have 3 antenna bases when the FFW was upgraded to FFR a fourth base was added to the rear off side as you can see on 26 BK 74 it does not have this fitted.

The history of this Pig shows it was fitted with Station Radio 'R' Type "H". This was a DF system that used several Pigs & trialled in early 1960s. I have the 1963 Trials User Handbook this is for the second trials so it must have started perhaps the previous year when this picture would most likely been taken. It can't be too much early as Pig production ran 1959-60 & besides the book is March 1963 so probably 1962 is the year of this photo.

The history of the 27 BK 70 does not mention Type H, but that means nothing. I had a Pig that was used for this & there was no record card evidence. You will see it has a telescopic mast on one side & on one of the antenna bracket that resembles the base for Type H. There was as penthouse used & I suspect these may have been made by Park Royal carried in the near side locker (opened on photo see pages 12-13 http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/SHELTERS.pdf) and no doubt they made the internal fittings & furniture in the Pig itself.

I suspect the Pigs were over from BAOR as:

BAOR were very keen on painting vehicles with anti-freeze marks. See above the Union Flag a white square with red disc.

Union Flag used in BAOR, there would be no need if in UK only.

Same applies with the Bridge Class painted in. In UK in peacetime vehicles were not marked up as bridges were not classified for loads unlike in Germany.