Jacket Denim Green Lightweight

Dreadnought

No of course this wasn,t the correct name for it, but when I was a Junior Tradesman at JTR Rhyl, left in 1974, I was issued with a Lightweight unlined denim jacket that was very well cut and stylish (slightly heavier material than Lightweight trousers but it went well with them) slightly slashed flapped side pockets and an inner breast pocket. There were two types of cloth issued, the lighter weight ones like I had or the slightly heavier cloth but exactly the same style. At Rhyl we used to wear the jackets for weapon training and military lessons in lieu of combats, unless combats were specified for the lesson, it was also worn by the driver trademen whilst learning to drive. I was surprised on arriving at my first adult unit 22 Signal Regt at Churchill Barracks Lippstadt West Germany, that there were a couple of other guys in the Squadrons who wore these jackets sometimes in lieu of Pullovers and sometimes over the Pullover (mine was a nice snug fit so I wore without) I asked if we were allowed to wear this jacket which it seems wasn,t issued to many people and apparently the RSM was of the opinion that if it was issued then it could be worn. (was much tougher than a wooly pully and less likely to get torn) I wore mine for driver training when getting my HGV and for weapon training, gas mask training etc etc. Just what was that jacket called? by the 80s I never saw any more of them and I remember selling mine to some guy before leaving 22SR who offered me a price I just couldn,t refuse (silly money) Is that jacket rare (especially the nicer ones like I had) are there any to be had these days? I always considered that they were smarter than the wooly pully (unless like my pal Gerry you were built like an ape!! then they just didn,t fit right or look right, it was one piece of kit that definitely suited the slimmer soldier).

Edited by Dreadnought

Sounds just like 'jacket, overall, green.'

Just had look at mine and it appears to be dated 1947 but it mentions in eaglehursts link that they were introduced in the 60's?Mine is made from a fairly heavyweight denim.Much heavier than denim Battledress.

Edited by NCA75

Thats the one, thankyou very much, so they can still be found, I,ll keep an eye out. I think the one shown in the thread pics is one of the heavier weight ones. I suspect the guy who paid me so many D. Marks for mine way back then was impressed that mine was one of the lighter weight ones, same pattern, same colour just a lighter weight denim cloth, maybe a different maker, I was also issued with some very strange green trousers (the matching coverall trousers to the jacket)...except that they certainly didn,t match and were a much lighter pea green.....the RSM was not so happy about those and told me to exchange them for some in a sensible colour. I also remember having a bit of a fight with the RSM over the fact that I had Black leather soled shoes with no toe caps.....due to only being a size 7 small and they had none of the usual Bata shoes in my size, on the other hand a roomie had huge feet and had to be issued with 'Boots cobbly wobbly' ( adventure training boots) with screw on soles because he was an elephantine size in the foot.....a true Light Infantryman as I remember. Thanks for all the help and listening to my rambling.

I used to have one of these myself for a number of years,in the heavier cloth, a good size 6.Then about 18 months ago sold it on ebay for about £15 pounds if I remember,now I very much regret selling it.They do still crop up from time to time but mostly in small sizes.They were used by Royal Marine recruits for basic training and battle fitness during the commando course in the seventies.

Dear Boots DMS,

That usage by the Royal Marines continued well into the 1980s from personal witness.

R

Hi

Thanks, I suppose they fazed them out when the heavier 68 pattern were replaced by the later thinner issue smocks.(bearing in mind the times recruits were immersed in water).I joined in 1973 in 89 troop , unfortunatly my time was cut short due to eyesight problems,and I never completed training, so I don,t actually consider myself an ex Royal or serviceman,but have a great deal of respect for those who did ,are.

The jacket described is indeed the "Jacket, Overall, Green" and issued with matching trousers...........these were part of the revised/new 1960 pattern clothing ensemble and intended as a direct replacement for the old denim battledress blouse and trousers.......issues started during the early 1960s and were worn alongside existing stocks of denim BD until these were exhausted........which probably didn't universally occur until the early 70s.........the revised suit itself was declared obsolete around the early 70s when replaced by the army pattern one-piece "boiler suit" in green poly-cotton (the type with press-stud fasteners).......

The "overall suit" was intended for fatigues and "dirty work" but did see extensive use as a summer and lightweight combat and training dress as many period photos evidence...........I have even seen a jacket with locally-made top-pockets added to resemble a combat smock....!

The original suit was made in olive drab/green 100% cotton drill.........around 1971 this was changed to poly-cotton in advance of the changeover to coveralls made in similar fabric as well as the new "Trousers, Mens, Lightweight" (TML's) but as ever, existing stocks of the older cotton continued whilst stocks remained..........WS Supplies in Oxford still have stocks of NOS large size late-production overall trousers in the poly-cotton mix of which both Jason and I have acquired examples...... (36-38" waist !!!).......

The trousers of the overall suit lasted longer in service than the jacket, being particularly popular with Paras and Marines until the end of the 70s.......particularly when the crossover-belt jungle "Trousers, Green (drill), Olive Drab" were unavailable......certainly, some issues of the suit continued with some recruits into the early 80s (though NOT in the RAF...!!!)....

Until recently, Sabre Sales in Southsea still had some NOS jackets in both cotton drill and poly-cotton (and may still have some....?) and WS have/had the poly-cotton trousers, but either way these oft-neglected items are fast-becoming thin on the ground..........not/never worth a great deal........until you seek one that is.......

Edited by wdbikemad

Until recently, Sabre Sales in Southsea still had some NOS jackets in both cotton drill and poly-cotton (and may still have some....?) and WS have/had the poly-cotton trousers, but either way these oft-neglected items are fast-becoming thin on the ground..........not/never worth a great deal........until you seek one that is.......

Yes Steve - I was there in the Summer and they did have some left. Again not large sizes but I didn't have the courage to dig to the bottom of the pile - which I firmly beleive would have been the end of me had it toppled over!:D

Yes Steve - I was there in the Summer and they did have some left. Again not large sizes but I didn't have the courage to dig to the bottom of the pile - which I firmly beleive would have been the end of me had it toppled over!:D

Ha ! Very true Jason.......most of them were the drill variety, all NOS......but I did see the odd late-production poly-cotton variety there too........

Am I right in thinking that these were made in the older "combat suit" sizes...(eg - 1 to 9)...????

Ha ! Very true Jason.......most of them were the drill variety, all NOS......but I did see the odd late-production poly-cotton variety there too........

Am I right in thinking that these were made in the older "combat suit" sizes...(eg - 1 to 9)...????

If I remember correctly, the one I had was a size 6 and it stated 5ft 7 to 5ft10 and 40-42 ins chest,the sizing used on the earlier pattern 1960 combat clothing.Where as the 2nd pattern size 6 combat smock (1960 pattern og) showed the size as 7080/0515 and was more generously cut.I don,t know if the overall jacket in later polycotton was adjusted size wise also.

please correct me if I,m wrong.

If I remember correctly, the one I had was a size 6 and it stated 5ft 7 to 5ft10 and 40-42 ins chest,the sizing used on the earlier pattern 1960 combat clothing.Where as the 2nd pattern size 6 combat smock (1960 pattern og) showed the size as 7080/0515 and was more generously cut.I don,t know if the overall jacket in later polycotton was adjusted size wise also.

please correct me if I,m wrong.

You are not wrong !! The size reference quoted was the NATO sizing that featured on labels (in addition to the UK "numbered" sizes) from as early as 66 onwards but more commonly from the late 60s when items were NSN coded.......however, the actual sizes didn't change.......a 1 to 3 were basically "small, medium and large" within a specific height range, followed by 4 to 6, and 7 to 9 (each range getting gradually taller......and wider)...........

Remember though, that as an overall jacket the garments were cut to fit OVER undergarments.......so should, in theory, be reasonably generous........:-D

Sizes do vary however, between different manufacturers, and used garments, particularly those made from cotton-drill, may have shrunk in earlier washing cycles............all worth bearing in mind......

Edited by wdbikemad

You are not wrong !! The size reference quoted was the NATO sizing that featured on labels (in addition to the UK "numbered" sizes) from as early as 66 onwards but more commonly from the late 60s when items were NSN coded.......however, the actual sizes didn't change.......a 1 to 3 were basically "small, medium and large" within a specific height range, followed by 4 to 6, and 7 to 9 (each range getting gradually taller......and wider)...........

Remember though, that as an overall jacket the garments were cut to fit OVER undergarments.......so should, in theory, be reasonably generous........:-D

Sizes do vary however, between different manufacturers, and used garments, particularly those made from cotton-drill, may have shrunk in earlier washing cycles............all worth bearing in mind......

I see, thanks very much for info, there is so much more to this subject than I realised.