Canadian Cold Weather Parka.

Scotch Harry

Only just realised looking at that pic again,the chap wearing the Parka is wearing Hi Leg Boots,in 1982!!!

1982....those boots just might be the lightweight NI boots that were still around at that period.........

The Canadian Parka was a 70s item that lasted in service through to the late-1980s.........the item was adopted by the RAF and RM for extreme cold weather conditions such as Norway and Canada.......I had one issued by the RAF for a detachment to Goose Bay in '83.......

They were, if I remember, extremely warm although rather heavy and perhaps far more practical than the longer DPM and older styles of parka........sizing was (if I recall) in the older numbered sizing (eg - size 1, 2, etc)......note the label that on the example shown has bi-lingual English/French instructions to accomadate French-Canadians....! This was not fitted in all examples I've seen however.....

These parkas were highly prized but it seems jealously guarded by QM's and Stores !!!! I tried in vain to retain mine but they chased me down to return the thing......>:(

They do still turn up today, but as with everything finding one in the right size and a decent condition is not an easy task..........

Edited by wdbikemad

• 2 weeks later...

Another Canuck parka - superb condition - if it wasn't for the names on the labels I would have mistaken this for NOS. Good size as well.

Out of interest any idea what animal provided the fur on the hood?! :cool2:

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

Edited by Eaglehurst

The traditional fur for Parka hoods is Reindeer. Apparently it does not freeze if you breath on it in extreme cold weather.
I remember being issued with one of these at BATUS Wksps in 1979 along with the rubber overboots and fur hat! Very useful bit of kit at -40! I was on a 2 year posting so got used to the very low and high temperatures..at least we had seasons then!

I know the US used wolf fur on 50s and 60s parkas, later changed to synthetic, and I am certain that the Canadians would have followed similar......though the idea of reindeer, or coyote is another good suggestion........

The very late Canadian parkas (eg - late 70s onwards) went over to synthetic I seem to recall........

How ironic, that was the worst version of the Canadian Arctic Parka issued. Non detachable hood, and the liner material bunched up and significantly reduced it's usefulness. Saw lots of those issued to static bases and non combat units, though some did get to combat oriented units, they were soon gotten rid of. The next style was much better.