Sand blast cabinets

BRDM Driver

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but anyone had any experience with machine mart sand blast cabinets?

Worth the money or better to get a floor standing unit and make a cabinet for doing small bits inside?

There floor standing units are either siphon feed or pressurised.

Any thoughts?

I read some of the old posts basically writing off the DIY cabinet approach as being a waste of time and money, unless you have a massive industrial compressor (3 phase or engine driven).

I have seen a complete blasting kit on ebay - a big one with a diesel compressor - for 2k, but then that is a lot of sessions at the local blasting place!

Maybe it will be best just to get all the small bits that need doing off in one go and get a mobile blaster to come and do the outsides of the Scorpion and BRDM. I am going to see what the dry ice blasting costs for that as it's a lot cleaner...

Hi BRDM

I have spent many a happy hour using a free standing blasting cabinet from sealey. (The photo below is pretty close to what we use). We use a large compressor, which seems to work fine (I don't know what size it is or any other details)

The blasting cabinet is good for cleaning small and large components (The biggest thing I managed to get in the cabinet and clean was the autocar rear crossmember). It does seem to get quite dusty around where the cabinet is but if you can live with it, it works out an efficient way to clean components ready for painting. Quite a lot can be cleaned in half a day spent in front of it.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Ross

SB974.V2.jpg

We are professional blast cleaners in North Wales , the deciding factor will be the size of your compressor , in cfm , for our blast room we use a 27kw screw compressor capable of giving 150 cfm at 10bar all day. Assuming you have a chunky compressor , I would recommend one of the orange 'hobby' pressure pots on eBay for about £150. These can be used freestanding or in a cabinet and produce great results with 200-700micron recycled glass grit which can be used on rusty steel or at reduced pressure on ally parts .