Identification Help Please

Dave C

The first one is a Marmon Herrington MkIV armoured car. Its called a Marmon Herrington because it uses the Marmon Herrington all-wheel drive system, I guess it was the easiest way to distinguish between the other armoured cars in service at the time. Marmon Herrington-Ford modified chassis were used for a number of different specialty vehicles, both military and civilian, in a number of different countries. The well-known WW2 era airfield snow fighter, the 'SnoGo' was based on a Marmon-Herrington-Ford chassis. The company is still in existence, I believe their headquartered in Kentucky. http://www.Marmon-Herrington.com - Company website http://www.marmon-herrington.webs.com - Marmon Herrington military vehicles (stumbled upon this site a few years ago)

The first one is a Marmon Herrington MkIV armoured car. Its called a Marmon Herrington because it uses the Marmon Herrington all-wheel drive system, I guess it was the easiest way to distinguish between the other armoured cars in service at the time. Marmon Herrington-Ford modified chassis were used for a number of different specialty vehicles, both military and civilian, in a number of different countries. The well-known WW2 era airfield snow fighter, the 'SnoGo' was based on a Marmon-Herrington-Ford chassis. The company is still in existence, I believe their headquartered in Kentucky. www.Marmon-Herrington.com - Company website www.marmon-herrington.webs.com - Marmon Herrington military vehicles (stumbled upon this site a few years ago)

A great site Thanks Pavy8 :cheesy:

Yes you're right Richard, usually called Marmon Herrington but strictly speaking incorrect.

Deryck,

The way to identify whether the MkIV had Ford F60 axles is to check the number of wheel studs. The M-H axles had 5 studs, where as the F60 had 8. I have to concede that the actual vehicle shown in the video at the French tank museum, may have 5 studs, going on a photo gallery of M-H armoured cars showing one on display in the museum. But going through the photo gallery, there are still a good number of MkIV around which have all F60 axles and are strictly speaking, MkIVF which have no M-H content in them.

That detail is very interesting Richard. I just remember reading somewhere about the MH name being incorrect for exactly the reason you mention and I was unaware that in effect there were two versions. In the grand scheme of things fairly inconsequential I suppose but it does show how some of the myths build as I was quoting something I read somewhere and took to be gospel.