BRDM2 Turret install

Spent the last few days putting the turret back on BRDM2. It's been off since I bought it.

As getting my hands on deact 9M113 Spandrel tubes has proved impossible or ridiculously expensive, I fashioned some dummy tubes! They load/unload just like the real thing!

I'd really like to try launching a cardboard replica rocket, powered by a Estes motor, but not sure of the legal ins and outs of doing that. I think that as long as it's a cardboard model, it's ok.

Come and say hello at Bovy this weekend if you're at the show.

turret lift3.jpg

turret lift2.jpg

turret lift.jpg

There were actually two poles there and we stayed well away once the turret was airborne!

The turret is not particularly heavy, but if you're on your lonesome, you have to improvise. I would guess it's probably 150 to 200kg.

I took the tilt axis gearbox off as it had seized, to make it a little lighter to lift. Only problem was getting the gearbox back into the underside of the turret once it was mounted. The gearbox assembly weighs about 20-30kg and has three bolts holding it in place. It has no flat surfaces and is top heavy so it was a right bugger to get up into place... Once I got it to within 4 or 5 inches I used long coach bolts to draw it up into place and get the splines to align - sort of like fitting a car gearbox but turned 90 degrees.

If I get time before Saturday, I might connect up the turret/guidance batteries and see what happens! I've never tried running any of that stuff before and I don't have operators instructions - only a book on diagnostics - in Russian!

In theory the turret should track movements of the gunsight and the load/unload should be automatic, but I would assume it needs to be calibrated so it knows where the turret is in relation to the vehicle so that it can slew and lower the launcher in the right place. There are numerous microswitches about and a lot of very big multipin connectors that would all need to work 100%.

I made the launch tubes from 110mm soil pipe and screwed on metal cross brackets that engage with the launcher rails. The cocking mechanism is very clever. As the turret retracts into the vehicle, the rams on the launch rails are reset ready for loading. Once fired, a solenoid releases the trigger on the ram and the empty tube gets fired out backwards. I tried it manually and the tube flies off backwards quite rapidly. I also have the reloader which is also automatic. It carries 5 tubes and is spring loaded like a row of scissor jacks. Once retracted and empty, the loader is operated and all 5 new tubes get thrust into place by the loader jacks. It's all very sophisticated compared to a CVRT Striker!

• 2 weeks later...

Powered up turret and missile control gear today after rebuilding one of the control boxes that had filled itself with water.

Quite exciting!

There's a 36v 400hz generator that spins up, then all the lights come on, the loading hatch closes and the turret lurches into life.

The gunsight also twitched, so I tried a waggle of the guidance joystick and it worked! The sight can be traversed and elevated and the turret tacks it!

I have found a problem with the turret elevation drive though. It's binding up and the drive motor is overheating. Turns out there are two electromagnetic powder clutches in there and they are binding.

That aside, it was pretty cool watching the turret track the sight. None of this gear has been powered for years and years so I'm amazed anything worked.

It lives!

(excuse dodgy phone cam video - will record something decent soon!)

I put the powder back in the clutches, re-assembled the elevation servo and installed it today.

Last link in the chain was to trick out the reloading tray with a wire link, which I haven't fitted inside, as it won't retract if the reloader is not ready.

It's quite noisy when working at the servos run at full speed even when stationary and I need to fine tune the turret-sight alignment. It seems to need to have the turret located in the exact 'home' position before retracting, but I think it sound home the turret automatically.

The main operation is full automatic once the turret is in place.

Yes it's cool to watch, but you do need to keep clear of it as the motors are really powerful and there are no 'dead mans handle' type safety switches, only interlocks to make sure hatches are shut etc.

The way the servos work is quite spooky as the turret looks like it's possessed - it follows the gunsight even if you move the gunsight by hand and if you try and shove the turret, it resists and pushes you back!

And now in beautiful High Rez!

Spent today getting the automatic homing when you activate the 'turret stow' function working and fitted a lug to the launch tubes so the control system 'knows' they are fitted. This in turn allows them to be selected 'fired' and ejected!

A couple of ejector solenoids seem to be stuck, but not bad for a days work! I'll get them sorted shortly...

All systems nearly 100% working now.

All fully automatic, simply select a rocket and it goes into launch mode and tracks the gunsight, select 'stow' and it returns to the 'home' position and stows itself.

Even the reload of the next 5 tubes is automated.

There's a great video here

of the Romanian army BRDM2 firing live rockets. It's amazing how fast they fly and how the blast from the 'gas generator' that gets the rocket out of the tube makes the engine air vent hatches fly up. Those hatches are bloody heavy...

I think you'd be a brave man to fire one from the portable launcher...

• 1 month later...