Ruckmarsch - The German Retreat From Normandy Then & Now

Snapper

This is the latest gem from After The Battle, and may have found it's way into your Christmas stocking. There are not enough superlatives to describe this book, which has been my bedtime reading for a few weeks, now. Jean Paul Pallud spends literally years putting these books together and his devotion to the task is stunning. Aside from gathering an amazing collection of contemporary pictures, his skills in finding the actual locations as they look today may well be unsurpassed. The text chugs along in good order and gives a good overview, generally down to divisional or battle group level; of what is going on. Even alert readers will need to keep the roman numeric unit titles in their heads - don't mix your LXXXIXs with your XLIXs - but the clarity of it all makes things a pleasure to read. Personal accounts enliven the whole package, but for a career picture librarian like me it is the photographs and superb captions that make these books so essential. When we spoke to David Fletcher we asked him what was so special about the Tiger I (here we even see a captured train load of the things - where did they go?) - in this book it is the demise of several Tiger II and exotica such as Jagdpanthers and even a Brumbar that fill the pages alongside so many Panthers (my personal favourite of the German tanks). How Jean Paul Pallud does this amazes me and I'm hoping to ask him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...