Spitfire Wreck

fesm_ndt

Wow , great find ! Did you collect the pieces for a future restoration project ? :D

I used to volunteer at an aviation museum in Perth so lugged them from Kalgoorlie to Perth. I was looking for Vultee Vengeance parts and found these

each part has the unique serial number so was traceable.

About 6 months later I got a phone call from a guy who had been trying to find this particuliar aircraft as it landed heavy but was complete. I had to tell the poor bugger that a farmer had turned it into a chook shed, so he was devestated

This was all a long time ago, around 1985. Kalgoorlie was one of the placed where aircraft were cut up after the war. I was on the hunt for Vultee vengeance parts and I ended finding this and a few other bits off this SpitfireThere was another box of bits. With the box being made from the Spitfire skin with another huge section made into a chook shedI gave the bits to the Bullcreek aviation museum as I was volunteering there when I was 16. Dunno what happened with them after that until I got a call several months later from the guy tracking it