Chevy 11/2 ton truck

mvdepot

My goodness all the way from Colorado! haha I had my M715 trailered up from Oklahoma to Ohio, and i thought that was a long way.. haha. Looks like its gonna be a great project though, I too am jealous, i just love those closed cabs.

Jealous? Yes, of course I am..... I am wiping the drool as I type, beautiful little truck. We had one in the 1950s, we fitted a boom onto the front bumper and used the winch for lifting boxes etc (all military stuff) In the end it went the same way that everything else went............. scrap. We also used a Dodge Command car in the same manner, filled the back with house bricks for ballast...... same ending. We eventually acquired cranes for the job, Bay City and Thornycroft Amazons. I have very fond memories of what was a very exciting time in my early working life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All !,well got started on the strip down of the Chev at last !!, nice to work on a truck from a dry state ! means the gas axe has not been out yet !,you can see in one of the pics that the frame has been shortend at some time ,i will need to get some measurements from a good frame if anyone can help that would a great help !,please vsit my facebook page MVDEPOT LTD

chevsd5.jpg

chevsd4.jpg

chevsd3.jpg

chevsd2.jpg

chevsd1.jpg

Interesting that you have the spring assisters above the rear leaf springs, normally fitted to Tippers and Tractor units (I think Pole Setters as well? Cant remember). I have a spare correct Chevy fuel tank if you need one?

Nice looking truck!

Interesting that you have the spring assisters above the rear leaf springs, normally fitted to Tippers and Tractor units (I think Pole Setters as well? Cant remember).....

OK - put that interesting observation together with the odd combination of frame weld and chequer plate patch (which - if part of a frame shortening job - you would expect to find over the vertical weld), and it makes me wonder if you haven't maybe got yourself a tractor unit there? (you lucky so-and-so :red:).

It actually looks like someone has either extended the side rail, or possibly cut a piece out and let in a section between the diagonal patch and the vertical weld. Does the wheelbase correspond with a tractor unit? If not, take off the length of this 'insert' and does it then tie up?

What does the left hand chassis rail look like?

chevsd4.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Hi again ! some more pics of the Chev frame massacre!!! it looks to be missing 11" or so ,the number on the Data plate in the cab makes it a Cargo for sure and a closer look at those extra springs has led me to believe they have been added as a mod at some point !,Also got the cab off today and hope to get the engine box and tranny out tomorrow.

Have been told that GMC rear mudgaurds, pintle hook ,bumperettes,spare tyre carrier,are the same or will fit ok is this correct ?? thanks for all the help and info so far its helping me alot !.

mch1_zpsb55b4796.jpg

mich4_zps8159ea98.jpg

mich5_zps804ccedb.jpg

mich6_zps3bc19c16.jpg

mich7_zpsc1f5be88.jpg

Will deffo need that fuel tank G506 Captain and any mounting brackets etc etc ,give me a call on 07731314145 !!

Hi, just sent you a text. Nice to see you have genuine Chevy running boards; they're gold dust!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following your thread with interest. I have a chev cargo and i think I see some differences that you may want to know about. First of all the bumprettes on a cargo are different to the GMC the spare wheel carrier is the same and fits, the pintle hook is the same on both and the back mudguards are the same. the GMC has a 5 speed gearbox and the chev a 4 speed one, the GMC transfer box fits the chev but the gear ratios are different. On looking at your pics it seems to me the back cross member and the cross member by the hand brake are different to my truck, If this is correct it may only mean that there was subtle differences between the years or the countries they were sent to or the different applications the chev had. If the fittings on the chassis are riveted on it means they are original if they are bolted on then most likely they are not original. Tomorrow I will take some photos for you and post them here. When you are over all these hassles you will enjoy driving the chev. cheers Charlie

Hi,

I'm looking forward to following your Chev thread but actually I'm more interested in one of the other vehicles in your shed - I owned and restored GMC 'SAP 23N' in the early 90's. I can give you some history on it. PM me if you're interested!

Regards - MG

• 3 months later...