Sherman M4 and Half tracks - Is this a new one or old news?

fesm_ndt

Mulling it over again Rick, I suppose it actually makes financial sense, if you had the spare cash and did the work yourself you could actually make money out of it! £50k with what I imagine would be a used R975 radial thrown in, £10k? to sort out the 17pdr and mount, then you have got £40k to cover shipping, fabrication of all missing internal parts, set of new rubber tracks from JS and there'd you go....You have spent £100k but it would be worth in excess of £200k, even with a Radial. If you could source an M4 Hybrid Firefly as a basis, there would be no compromises and I bet you could be getting close to £300k.

But never mind all that money talk, just bringing a Firefly back to life would be all the reward I would want:-)

It has a quite distinct armoured plate welded over the hull machine gun position and on the rear shot you can just make out the remains of the brackets that held the 17pr barrel transit lock rear left on the top deck plate. On the turret side of things, there is a large armour plate box welded on the back, the radio was located in this as the breach of the 17pr filled the Sherman turret requiring the radio relocation.

I presume that the seller doesn't know it is a Firefly.

Edited by ajmac

so ....would this be one of the 4 or 500 Shermans in Argentina that had been converted with modern diesel motors and a modern gun that was being discussed on here a week or so ago ??........

either way.....I agree with what was said earlier ...I don't reckon the price is out of order myself......:) and the halftracks ain't bad at that whack either I would have thought .....

anyone capable of rebuilding her would surely be capable of rebuilding a secondhand engine as well so..go for the secondhand motor and she'll cost $68000...that' about £44,000 by my reckoning ..ok plus shipping at whatever but ...in my mind that Sherman would be 100 times better investment than say a new Range Rover or and Aston Martin or whatever else 60 or 70 grand would buy you ....

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Even if it were £120k on top of the purchase price you still wouldn't be out of pocket at todays crazy prices!

.and!!!!!

.....even at somewhere around £180,000 / £200,000 finished and done.....she'd still be only the same price roughly as a a top of the range Bentley or Ferrari etc......

AND.....unlike a motor such as that she'd actually keep and even increase in value...

..think about it....

just what will a running & completely restored Sherman be worth in say another 30 years time on perhaps the 100th Anniversary of D-Day ?????? mind boggling :)

worth every penny. now........where's my lottery ticket?:D

All these huge asking prices are all very well but what are they actually selling for?

I was going to say some of them are not as pretty inside as recent restorations in here.

What about overall completeness?

Also what about the rarity of the composite?

It has a quite distinct armoured plate welded over the hull machine gun position and on the rear shot you can just make out the remains of the brackets that held the 17pr barrel transit lock rear left on the top deck plate. On the turret side of things, there is a large armour plate box welded on the back, the radio was located in this as the breach of the 17pr filled the Sherman turret requiring the radio relocation.

I presume that the seller doesn't know it is a Firefly.

Many thanks for the education :)

are they 'standard' on a Grizzly Adrian???

They are Canadian Dry Pin tracks, CDP. The Grizzlies were built on standard US track and sprockets but fitted with CDP later. Late Sextons were built on CDP. It is lighter than standard US live track but does wear as other dry tracks.