Tanks found and lost

little ray

Matilda II

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=7419636@N02&q=matilda

Matilda IV CS, John Bourke's

https://plus.google.com/photos/106439702015672969152/albums/5337473879804507009?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/106439702015672969152/albums/5337473879804507009/5338583270794407298

A couple of the various dozer/tractor conversions may be runners.

Valentine dozer conversion, Don Rhodes mining & transport museum, Port Hedland.

converted-valentine-tank.jpg

Another ex-dozer was being run by a company called "Mad Trax", was for sale about 5 years ago.

Several more in New Zealand.

Grants.

Peter Ray, Nanago, Queensland.

CRW_7871.jpg

"Rod" (Keyes?) Western Australia.

orig.jpg

Grant hull, vis-modded as a Sherman for a film.

Tank in Action

Lots of Grant hulls out there, as to whether any are runners, without major work, is hard to say.

Thanks Richard, well from what I have seen first hand and around here there would be 8 or 9 Matilda's and 5 Stuart's and 4 Centurion's and there is some big collections around that people do not talk about but I am told it could number in the 20's. There is a Ferret and a Saladin parked 4 kms from where I sit. My figures do not include museums or ones in the possession of the army which they hold at Sydney Moorebank base, The Hunter Lancer unit, Puckapunyal to name just three and most of these are quite serviceable WW2 and Vietnam issue. there must still be dozens still out on farms like the one I found a few months ago and the two Bren carriers that have come up for auction in the last months. I know were there is a Bren in big bits for sale now for around $5000 but its just sitting there ... Ray

If you've any photos to add to the ones on "Surviving Panzers", I'm sure P-O would love to have them.

Thanks Richard, well from what I have seen first hand and around here there would be 8 or 9 Matilda's and 5 Stuart's and 4 Centurion's and there is some big collections around that people do not talk about but I am told it could number in the 20's. There is a Ferret and a Saladin parked 4 kms from where I sit. My figures do not include museums or ones in the possession of the army which they hold at Sydney Moorebank base, The Hunter Lancer unit, Puckapunyal to name just three and most of these are quite serviceable WW2 and Vietnam issue. there must still be dozens still out on farms like the one I found a few months ago and the two Bren carriers that have come up for auction in the last months. I know were there is a Bren in big bits for sale now for around $5000 but its just sitting there ... Ray

Hi Ray,

I was only counting those in running and restored order, and do know of quite a few more Matildas around the country in various conditions. Also quite a few Stuarts as you say.

Best of luck with the jeep.

Richard, I look after a massive car collection for a guy from Sydney and he has two Stuarts but no turrets and I am told they are going units (over one hundred cars in a big shed and another hundred or so in the paddock behind the shed and at his second farm there are more which I have not been to yet) and there is a stuart going on the Mudgee road and he could have more hidden away and one near bathurst but he tells me he sold it but I would say he is just that as he is sick of me asking about it every time I see him. All the Centurions are going units and are used I think and the Matilda's I have seen five of them going. I hope this is a help for you.

As for Panzer's I know of none around but in saying that my boss at work when I worked came from Italy and he had pictures of the family winery and they still have one in the shed with a big claw on the back to break the ground to plant new vines, it has no turret in the photos so they are still out there... Ray