Can anyone identify this telephone socket

Hi,

I am looking to link two field telephones up on a 1956 vehicle and it already has one internally with an external 10-pin plug outside the vehicle.

Can anyone tell me if the photo of the external socket is a known type so i can try to obtain one?

P1100090.jpg

Many thanks, Neil.

Neil as you will see in this EMER there are quite a few combinations! This is a pattern 104, shell size 2, 12-pin, orientation 0. Then of course you have to cope with the key ways of the plug case shroud, there can be single or double key ways with up to three & all in various orientations. The good news is that the shroud can be changed to suit. But there are pages of combinations.

I looked in my plug collection but couldn't find a match for you I'm afraid.

DSC02382.jpg

Hi,

I am looking to link two field telephones up on a 1956 vehicle and it already has one internally with an external 10-pin plug outside the vehicle.

Can anyone tell me if the photo of the external socket is a known type so i can try to obtain one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63941[/ATTACH]

Many thanks, Neil.

Well, it's Larkspur era, but that's definitely not a field telephone socket! What vehicle is it fitted to, as it might have been from radio relay equipment (C41/R222, C50 or C70) for the engineering channel, possibly BRUIN, or some kind of secure link.

Larkspur junction box cables may fit, or if not then the orientation can be changed (with the correct tools) if you have the connectors with black inserts (the later green and red ones were permanently bonded to the shell).

F.C.Lane still sell the connectors (new), but at a new price. :D

Chris

Thanks guys for replying.

Chris, the socket is fitted to a Fordson Thames ET6 Civil Defence Corps Operations Vehicle.

The rear ops unit is original down to the last lightbulb.

The two field telephone wires go to the socket as well as the other wires (whatever they were used for).

I can understand the need for secure comms being a Home Office ops vehicle.

I could simply change the socket but am a bit obsessed with its total originality.

Neil.

Thanks guys for replying.

Chris, the socket is fitted to a Fordson Thames ET6 Civil Defence Corps Operations Vehicle.

The rear ops unit is original down to the last lightbulb.

The two field telephone wires go to the socket as well as the other wires (whatever they were used for).

I can understand the need for secure comms being a Home Office ops vehicle.

I could simply change the socket but am a bit obsessed with its total originality.

Neil.

In that case, it's just a convenient connector and would be unlikely to match Larkspur kit.

(Certainly not secure communications, anyway.)

It's probably a "quick connect" to supply lighting and communication to a group of vehicles close together, with the added advantage that it's robust, waterproof, and easy to decontaminate. It might be worth asking the question on the 19 set group, as there are people there who are ex-Home Office, and others who are interested in Civil Defence kit.

Best,

Chris.

In that case, it's just a convenient connector and would be unlikely to match Larkspur kit.

(Certainly not secure communications, anyway.)

It's probably a "quick connect" to supply lighting and communication to a group of vehicles close together, with the added advantage that it's robust, waterproof, and easy to decontaminate. It might be worth asking the question on the 19 set group, as there are people there who are ex-Home Office, and others who are interested in Civil Defence kit.

Best,

Chris.

Chris,

Sorry to seem dense but being fairly new to the forums, ive looked but must ask what the 19 set group is.

Neil.

Chris,

Sorry to seem dense but being fairly new to the forums, ive looked but must ask what the 19 set group is.

Neil.

It's a Yahoo! group, which started out just dealing with the Wireless Set No.19 but just sort of expanded from there - though we do try and keep roughly to the topic of military communications equipment and its uses. There's also the Vintage and Military Amateur Radio Society, and a Canadian WS19 group (though the last one does stick fairly firmly to the WS19 and is unlikely to be interested in UK Civil Defence (!).

Best,

Chris.

WOA2,

Thank you so much for looking.

I know i got the pins wrong but although being 43, I think age is setting in.

I think getting the phone system running would be a great added extra for the War & Peace show.

Have a nose around the various Plessey and Bulgin catalogues online.

I don't think its an ITT or Cannon effort.

Alec.

It's not too clear from the picture but I think it's an old Plessey Mk IV?

Andy

Chaps,

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I have now found the exact plug for the socket I was searching for and have to tell you that it was a Plessey 104 pattern as you rightly stated.

I found the sockets and plugs for sale on www.electrojumble.org.uk and Roy from the site says he has one left for me.

If anyone's going to the War & Peace show, please feel free to pop in for a cuppa (or something stronger) as we are there from 13th July to 20th July and you can identify us by the picture of our truck below.

P1090752.jpg

Many thanks again to everyone who's technical knowledge has helped us massively.

Neil Meekums.