T54 Engine Replacement

Has anyone had experience in replacing the V12 engine in a T54 with something North American? If so what might be suitable & have adequate HP? Alternatively are there any complete correct power plants available? Thank you for any input.

Probably a silly question - but why would you want to???

Last I heard that V-54-6 engine was still available - either as parts or complete crated engines from the East European dealers as it was used in later models too. I'd have thought swapping that for a NA offering would involve fairly drastic work to mate it to the T-54's gearbox????

Not to mention adding complexity to a simple design.... From what little I know of US commercial diesels I think you may have problems finding one to fit the engine bay - but in fairness to the market I've been out of touch since leaving Ford in 2007.

Probably a silly question - but why would you want to???

Last I heard that V-54-6 engine was still available - either as parts or complete crated engines from the East European dealers as it was used in later models too. I'd have thought swapping that for a NA offering would involve fairly drastic work to mate it to the T-54's gearbox????

Not to mention adding complexity to a simple design.... From what little I know of US commercial diesels I think you may have problems finding one to fit the engine bay - but in fairness to the market I've been out of touch since leaving Ford in 2007.

Not a silly question at all. I have found a T54 that had its engine bay totally stripped out years ago & some modifications made toward installing something else. All of the removed pieces have parted company with the tank. The machine & I are both in Canada, a long way from Eastern Europe. You are informing me that engines are available but I am concerned with all of the associated pieces that will need to be found.

At present I need to determine the wisdom of getting into what could turn out to be a never ending project to satisfy my desire for something heavy & green! It certainly does not need to be Russian.

Not a silly question at all. I have found a T54 that had its engine bay totally stripped out years ago & some modifications made toward installing something else. All of the removed pieces have parted company with the tank. The machine & I are both in Canada, a long way from Eastern Europe. You are informing me that engines are available but I am concerned with all of the associated pieces that will need to be found.

At present I need to determine the wisdom of getting into what could turn out to be a never ending project to satisfy my desire for something heavy & green! It certainly does not need to be Russian.

OK - I guess all depends on how much has been stripped then. If it's just the engine - try talking to one of the firms advertising on MilWeb - such as Pa-Ko or STV Group. The V-54-6 units come as a complete, all-in, power pack with all the ancillaries.

Odd as it may sound - you are no worse off in Canada than we are in the UK in terms of supply - you just have a few days longer to wait in the shipping department. :-D

There is a guy in the UK who sells T-54's (amongst other things) called Duncan Nicholson, his firm is called "Tanks for sale" - he's a friendly chap; you could try giving him a ring or sending an e-mail (details also on MilWeb) and talking through what you have and haven't got and he likely will advise you on your best option. He may even know of a suitable replacement from the NA power plants via one of his other customers. Never know till you ask!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. On further investigation, it seems that everything but the final drives is missing from the T54. I did contact a fellow in Poland who is very helpful & can supply the major pieces but indicated that all of the small parts could be a problem. When I do the math on parts & initial purchase, it would appear much more practical to buy a running unit. It also could turn into a very long term project.

A point that did come up is that radiators are very hard to find as they are having theft problems in Europe like we have here. A huge chunk of copper is worth a good deal to a scrapper anywhere.

• 4 months later...
DO NOT buy parts from Military Vehicles Poland...

Grzegorz Wolsztyniak <militaryvehicles@militaryvehicles.pl>

He still has almost $3k of my money for months... no shipment.

Dave Bane

E. Indiana Tank Collection

he owes lots of people refunds under his various guises

That cad stole over $60,000 AUST off me. We are starting a legal proceeding against him with the Polish Public prosecuter.

Would be interested in hearing more, as it can prove what a crook he is, IF we can get a sucessful case against him, will help everyone in the end.

PM me if you are interested, Iam sure that there are more than two of us out there :wow:

That cad stole over $60,000 AUST off me. We are starting a legal proceeding against him with the Polish Public prosecuter.

Would be interested in hearing more, as it can prove what a crook he is, IF we can get a sucessful case against him, will help everyone in the end.

PM me if you are interested, Iam sure that there are more than two of us out there :wow:

we have three people, two got paypal to refund the money. I understand that Paypal cancelled his account. I could not claim it trhough paypal as I had waited too long. bit unfair really as the only real proof you are not getting what you bought is when it doesnt tunr up after all your conversations with him. Anyway there is a real papertrail on this..the amounts are all smallish and show a catalogue of theft...All of this must be easily shown and traced through his bank account and Paypal. Will get onto the boys who nearly got done and see what info I can get together for you...

this guy has to be taken out of the military game...

Edited by paulob1

• 5 months later...
we have three people, two got paypal to refund the money. I understand that Paypal cancelled his account. I could not claim it trhough paypal as I had waited too long. bit unfair really as the only real proof you are not getting what you bought is when it doesnt tunr up after all your conversations with him. Anyway there is a real papertrail on this..the amounts are all smallish and show a catalogue of theft...All of this must be easily shown and traced through his bank account and Paypal. Will get onto the boys who nearly got done and see what info I can get together for you...

this guy has to be taken out of the military game...

He took me for over $3k... HOWEVER his fraud is NOTHING compared to what I got taken by Richard Moore, at RME...

$45,000 is apparently gone from this crook, who won't return emails and dissolved his business.... Buyer beware.

If you have issues with Richard Moore email me... I have a lawyer and we are gathering people who have lost funds for a suit.

Dave Bane

Has anyone had experience in replacing the V12 engine in a T54 with something North American? If so what might be suitable & have adequate HP? Alternatively are there any complete correct power plants available? Thank you for any input.

I was thinking the Israeli armed forces changed the engines on their captured ones but it seems they did not have to do so in great numbers. One variant was fitted with the Detroit Diesel 8V-71T engine, though.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/55_operators_and_variants, maybe you will get some inspiration from what all the various operators have done to re-engine them.

• 6 months later...