Urgent! Fordson WOT2H unladen weight

Lauren Child

Folks,

I'm bringing a WOT2H back tomorrow and the weight has been called into question. Can anyone confirm the weight. I have a book that says just over 2 (new) tonnes unladen, and another book that's just been found says 3.3, which is more than the beavertail I've got booked can carry.

The driver is obviously a bit concerned.

TTFN

Lauren

Edited by Lauren Child
typo

The official 1945 Ford manual has a WOT2 at 1ton 17cwt to 1ton 19cwt which as it's a WOT2H, would be the higher weight. This comes out as 1981.29Kg

Hope this helps. Please post a picture of the WOT2 as I would be interested to see it.

Thanks everso! That confirms what I thought. I was starting to panic when I thought I couldn't get it back :)

I'll definitely post a picture. I'll probably also be after some advice on spares and consumables, but the immediate panic is over!

Edited by Lauren Child

Thanks everso! That confirms what I thought. I was starting to panic when I thought I couldn't get it back :)

I'll definitely post a picture. I'll probably also be after some advice on spares and consumables, but the immediate panic is over!

Contact me and I'll do what I can. Suggest you join the 'Early Ford V8 club' as the WOT2 does share parts with other Ford products.

Lauren,

I hope you're going to keep the Wessex wyvern div sign...

Cheers

Paul

She's been well looked after by the previous owner but she's an older restoration and is beginning to show it's age. The paintwork needs a good tidy up so I'm going to strip her back to make sure it lasts. There are apparently some good photo's of WOT's in the regimental museum in Devon with these markings.

I'm tempted by a different camoflage scheme as there's a lot of mickey mouse around, but I'm going to take a look at the photo's down there, and I'll probably put the same markings back on :)

I'm tempted by a different camoflage scheme as there's a lot of mickey mouse around, but I'm going to take a look at the photo's down there, and I'll probably put the same markings back on :)

Excellent news. Mind you a halved green and blue square with a 41 always looks good in my opinion.....but glad the wyvern is staying!

Cheers

Paul

Unfortunately she's overheating. She got very hot and I think vapour lock caused a drop in power (she started spluttering and struggling). I need to have more of a look, but I picked her up as a bit of a project.

She's going to be gorgeous though and I had a huge smile on my face during the show run.

A quick query to the other WOT owners - she's putting a lot of water out of the "overflow" tube to the bottom right side of the radiator. Looking in under the cap there's no spring/plate to push down and pressurise the radiator, so the water just squirts straight out of the tube as soon as it boils. Is that normal on WOTs or am I missing something?

A quick query to the other WOT owners - she's putting a lot of water out of the "overflow" tube to the bottom right side of the radiator. Looking in under the cap there's no spring/plate to push down and pressurise the radiator, so the water just squirts straight out of the tube as soon as it boils. Is that normal on WOTs or am I missing something?

A WOT2 has a non-pressurised system. If you fill the Radiator, it will push about 2 pints out when you start to drive and then settle down. This is normal. An ex-REME mechanic and Ford V8 expert told me this back when I first had my WOT2 on the road.

Also, a WOT2 runs very hot and will overheat. Red line is 180 on the gauge. Solution is to have a good radiator and keep the average speed down to about 45. The faster you go, the hotter a WOT2 gets.

Oh yes, never drive a WOT2 with the door tops on and try to not notice the rain coming in under the windscreen.

The Ford WOT2H was supplied in Green on Brown camouflage by Ford when new, which is the scheme my WOT2 is painted in. You could try plain green as they were frequently repainted this colour in the field.